• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

think my Jeep dealer is putting the screws to me?

danzy

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 is at the dealer getting front brakes. He calls back to tell me the rear wheel cylinders need replacing at $280, the transmission cooler lines at $240 and the track bar $125. Does this sound out of line or am I just a cheap bastard?

What does the Transmission Cooler lines or the Track Bar have to do with the Brakes. I'd tell him he's full of crap and look at it yourself. If your tranny cooler lines are bad then there would be leaking around the oil pan or by the radiator because the cooler lines run along the bottom of the oil pan from the radiator back to the tranny. I don't know why you would have to replace the Trac Bar unless it's completely rusted through. Either of those things though you would probably notice while driving.

Depends. Are you mechanicly inclined? Do you have the proper tools? The time and space to do the repairs yourself? Do you have a factory service manual? Why did you bring it there to have your front brakes done? If the $$ is too much find a reputable shop in your area and get a second opinion.

sounds like it. On the other hand, sounds like dealer quotes.
wheel cylinders are about 10 bucks a pop. Whats wrong with the track bar and transmission cooler lines? They better be flushing that bitch and changing the filter!!

RyanM said:
sounds like it. On the other hand, sounds like dealer quotes.
wheel cylinders are about 10 bucks a pop. Whats wrong with the track bar and transmission cooler lines? They better be flushing that bitch and changing the filter!!

Completely agree. Not only is that a rediculous price quote, doesn't even sound like it's an issue.

the transmission lines are leaking up front by the rad. As for the track bar and rear wheel cylinders they called before they started the brakes to give me some recommendations. Said these should be replaced soon, trust me I'll be the first to admit it I'm no mechanic but I wanted some feedback from other xj owners first.

another question if I wanted to pick up these parts myself where should I get them from (autozone, etc)?

danzy said:
My 99 is at the dealer getting front brakes. He calls back to tell me the rear wheel cylinders need replacing at $280, the transmission cooler lines at $240 and the track bar $125. Does this sound out of line or am I just a cheap bastard?

$280.00 is way too much.I just had my rear brakes done at a full service shop, including new wheel cylinders, springs and a full brake job was less than $200.00 including the parts. A brake shop might even be cheaper.

I don't know about the transmission cooler lines, but I know some guys have added tranny coolers for much less than $240.00 I had all my coolant hoses, including upper and lower radiator hoses changed for less than $ 240.00.

And for the track bar. Auto Zone shows a duralast track bar for $37.00. It is literally two easily accesable bolts. Shouldn't be more than 1/2 hour billable labor for a shop...maybe they have alignment included in that $125.00. Still..would be very interested in hearing the dealer explain why you need a new track bar.

I got my stock one sitting on the side of the house...you could have it for free if you were close by.

thanks for the post I appreciate it, too bad I'm south of Boston. I have to pop in tomorrow and see what the hell is up with the dealer

Do you feel intimidated into having the other work done?
You can always say "No thank you."

Most mechanics will do something similar.
In order to maximize their profits they will give your vehicle a "free" evaluation.
They will red flag anything that is bad, or even marginally bad.
Don't get mad at them - it's just another way of them trying to stay profitable.

Ask them if the play in the track bar is a slight wear or on the verge of failure.
If they say that it's going to fail soon, then I would ask them to show it to you first.

In regards to the trans cooler lines - are they broken or worn in the middle somewhere?
If they are leaking at the ends, there might be a replacement seal kit they can install rather than replacing the whole line.
Again, ask about the condition and how close to failure they are.
Ask them to show it to you if they say they are ready to fail.

Wheel cylinders often leak. They are cheap if you can do it yourself.
I'd venture to guess that they probably are in need of replacing.

Are you cheap? - maybe
Are you a bastard? - wouldn't have a clue:D

By the way, it was after many similar situations, that I decided to learn how to do my own repairs.

Tranny lines are quick disconnect if I am not mistaken. I had to replace one of mine and it was around $100 (dealer only part) and pretty easy to install. I'm not sure why they'd be bad already unless there was some mechanical damage to them.....or why they'd both be leaking at the same time? I'd get another opinion.

Transmission cooler lines are easy to replace. Even if it is a dealer only part you could easily buy some tube get a tubing cutter, a tubing bender and a flaring tool and get it done yourself with a much better routing job btw. I hate dooing rear brakes! if you couldn't do the fronts then don't even thin about doing the rears. And the track bar is 2 bolts! It helps if you have a friend there to get it in but other than that its a 30min job. Oh and a track bar is about $60 from the local parts store here. Get your truck back from the stealership ASAP!

remember that the labor rates at the dealer are usually quite a bit higher than an independent shop. in this area, the rates run right around 100.00/hr. which is why i do all my own work. don't have the experience, tools, or time? then that's what your money's going toward...or buy some tools and a shop manual, and get greasily intimate with your jeep!

i changed my trackbar when i was putting on my lift, extremely easy compared to the rest of my lift, only took me about 10 minutes with the right tools (i also already had it jacked up and disconnected most of the other things) but that much to replace a trackbar? thats way too much.

was that 125.00 the trackbar AND labor, or just the labor? if it was both that's not too bad, seeing as how the bar itself retails at 160.00. if it was just labor, that's definitely excessive.

the KEY WORD here is "dealership". no those prices don't sound wrong for a dealership at book time and dealership parts prices.

but yes you can get it much much cheaper at normal brake shops or other shops.

as for the trackbar. yes it may or may not have to be replaced due to the tie rod end wearing out. but without any of us being there to see it, it's impossible to tell you if it needs it or not.

Keep in mind the dealership has to pay:mech, shop manager, parts man, manager, secretaries, advertising, general manager, owners.
For brakes, take em to Sears or learn to do them yourself, easy job, fronts are two bolts once the wheel is off, new set of pads and two new rotors, 30 min job. Rears take a bit longer, for those kind of prices I'm almost tempted to drive up there and do them for you on thursday and head out to the cape for a couple of days of camping.

heck I will sell you a used stock trackbar cheap. I had to put in an adjustable with my lift. I think its in decent condition, worked fine and looked fine when I pulled it.

There was a TSB and class action, about leaky transmission lines. I really can't remember the years covered. Is it possible the dealer is trying to charge you and then also collect from Chrysler?

Back