• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC Lockup

imfrankyj

NAXJA Forum User
I have wired up my trans to shift Manually and I love it! I currently have it set up so that I can Lockup the TC up in 3rd and 4th gear. What I am wandering is can I have it lockup in 1st and 2nd? Can the TC handle that? It seems like it can since it can handle the torque from the high gears. Does anyone have experience with this? I thought it would be nice to put in a normally closed button for my left foot and use it like a clutch. This would be really nice since I love the solid feel the TC lockup gives.

with brettM's kit from awshifting.com

Yeah I'll need to scan it in. What is your email. anyone else who wants the Diagram give me your email and I'll send it to ya.

Does any one know if it is ok to lockup a torque converter in first and second gear?

Does the AW4 shifting kit take in signals from the gear selector or the NSS? I couldn't see what would be bad about locking it in 2nd, but idk if there's a ton of purpose either. I just wish there was an easier way, I've seen something on goJeep's website.

imfrankyj said:
Yeah I'll need to scan it in. What is your email. anyone else who wants the Diagram give me your email and I'll send it to ya.

Does any one know if it is ok to lockup a torque converter in first and second gear?

[email protected] Thanks... I like to think I'm fairly electronically included. Do you include what all wires I need to tap into? I'll just see what you send and go from there i guess...

My NSS is fucked up and ya have to put it in neutral or park or wiggle it around to make it crank...(seems to be a common problem) will that cause a problem with how this thing works? I hate when my jeep decides to shift... it has a mind of it's own... I think ill like this mod a lot. Is the TC lock a seperate switch? so there should be a On/Off switch for the shifter, up shift button, down shift button, and a lock/unlock switch for the TC? and a light for each gear?

I grounded my NSS cause I was having trouble. its nice cause it will start in gear now. which is great cause sometimes it dies on steep trails when I let up on the gas where I dont want to stop. The NSS wont effect the manual shifting.

Yes it has a light for each gear and the tc lock. I did it so that each gear has its own button so that when I stop I dont have to push a button several times. I will try to send the diagram tomorrow.

Why wont the TC lock in 1st? it is a separate solinoid? it seems like when I was testing wires to find the right ones i locked it up in 1st but maybe not. If it does is it strong enough?

I saw on the AW4 "factory" (not sure) manual on pirate that it says no TC lockup in 1st. Im pretty sure you could google it as well as pirate.com and you could find it.

[email protected]

I'd like your diagram.

if you completely bypass the computer so that you control the manual shift 100%, you can run a locked up TC in 1st no problem. that's the way the BrettM system works.

I think the comments about the TC not locking up in 1st refer to stock configuration - once you start doing your own mods all bets are off and you can get it to do whatever you want. For example, you could also state that it won't start in gear, but if you mod your NSS, it will.

I'm just talking here.... I haven't had TOO close of a look, but I did give the TC lockup system a quick once over and I don't see how there would be any problem with locking in any gear, with regards to durability. Looking forward to seeing your diagram :)

fuzzydog said:
I think the comments about the TC not locking up in 1st refer to stock configuration - once you start doing your own mods all bets are off and you can get it to do whatever you want. For example, you could also state that it won't start in gear, but if you mod your NSS, it will.

I'm just talking here.... I haven't had TOO close of a look, but I did give the TC lockup system a quick once over and I don't see how there would be any problem with locking in any gear, with regards to durability. Looking forward to seeing your diagram :)
Yeah I was thinking of a stocker. With modifications maybe, but idk about 4LO and 1st gear, it might be tough but idk. Its kinda like having the clutch out with a standard in 1st gear and 4LO and im assuming thats not too bad. Is there a quick fix to get it to lock early in 3rd and mainly 4th?

I can see now that im gunna have to pay 123.00 for BrettMs design. I'm gunna be pissed if its only a lil box with some wires goin in it and a shitty diagram and i sitll have to figure it all out. I can that myself. I do want it to work exactly how BrettM describes it to work.

Back