• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

could this be a bad egr?

Twisted XJ

NAXJA Forum User
symptoms.....runs rough at idle....... rotor was corroded... replaced that.....plugs have bad carbon buildup.... replaced those.......02 sensor threw a check engine light, a month ago.....replaced that.....checked it again today........covered in carbon buildup.....checked egr valve and can't find anything wrong with it visually. ... no leaks....what should I look for?

I am not very mechanically inclined is there something I am overlooking.

Yr model please?

Are all the plugs carboned up? If so it is running rich. Might still be an O2 sensor problem, like no power to the built in internal heater in the O2 sensor. It would show up as a bad idle, and might make it run rich most of the time. Less than 6 carboned up plugs, like one or two, I would suspect a leaky injector leaking fuel, and not shuting off.

I don't think the EGR would cause carbon build up on the plugs. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

O2 sensor can be back probed with a simple volt meter and tested.

Twisted XJ said:
symptoms.....runs rough at idle....... rotor was corroded... replaced that.....plugs have bad carbon buildup.... replaced those.......02 sensor threw a check engine light, a month ago.....replaced that.....checked it again today........covered in carbon buildup.....checked egr valve and can't find anything wrong with it visually. ... no leaks....what should I look for?

I am not very mechanically inclined is there something I am overlooking.

Back