• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would you buy a used powertrax?

trailblaze

NAXJA Forum User
wanted to buy one anyway for my 8.25- 29 spline, found a slightly used (couple months) no slip- slip

supposedly it's in really good shape, but whats the disadvantages of buying a used powertrax?

1. warranty still good?

2. do i need any install parts that can't be re-used?

3. will the guy installing it want to kick my butt since it's used and maybe more "sloppy" to install

i dunno guys, i wanted some input from people who bought used lockers before

Check it out, if the teeth all look good and all the parts are there it may be worth it. Of coarse it should be no where near the new price. Also make sure it is for your application, meaning the model axle and whether it is for a limited slip carrier or open carrier.

if its 75% of the cost of a new one...

why are you asking this question?

buy the new one... :twak:

if it's only been in for a couple of months and you give the seller any credibility, I would go for it.

Of course my recent build's number one focus was budget friendly and is not a daily driver. If this is a vehicle that has to get you to work m-f and you have the scratch to buy new, then that might change my opinion.

If its only been in for a couple months,Id want to know why its coming back out!

he is swapping axles to my guess a d44-

he's asking for 300 shipped... i could try to get it for 250 or 275, i am too on a budget, and buying a new one would take a bit longer

i was just wondering if a used no-slip is ok to re-install and whats needed when re-installing it ( ie. shims, springs)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-2006-Dana-30-Lock-Right-Locker-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQihZ007QQitemZ170136730433QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

There ya go! 254.95 Shipped BRAND NEW with factory warranty. (Tho I didnt look extremely close you may want to check compatibility with your XJ) If you're scared of ebay, use paypal, its a fool proof payment plan... I just bought the same locker from the same seller and it was one of the best transactions I've made out of hundreds on ebay... I BUY everything on ebay.

Edit: Nevermind! Just saw you said 29 spline 8.25. That auction is for a D30

I would try to talk him down some. My friend bought a no-slip for a D30 for 150 bux!! It had not been in long. Barely any signs of wear...but one or two of the springs was broken, or worn down a bit. He grabbed a set of new springs and pins, and it has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years.

With any used lunchbox, I would grab a new set of pins and springs, just because.

mjma said:
I would try to talk him down some. My friend bought a no-slip for a D30 for 150 bux!! It had not been in long. Barely any signs of wear...but one or two of the springs was broken, or worn down a bit. He grabbed a set of new springs and pins, and it has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years.

With any used lunchbox, I would grab a new set of pins and springs, just because.

The locker for the D30 retails much lower than the one for the 8.25.

i understand it clicks.... my jeep also squeels, and clicks from the brakes, taps slighty from the engine, and makes terrible vibratation noises from the exhaust being bent into my gas skid plate

LOL... Mines the same way... I don't mind hearin noises i just hate when other people look and say look at that pos makin all that damn noise! I could deal with the first couple noises but the exhaust in the gas tank would have to go... Ya shit's gunna blow up! Mines leakin gas already from a similar incident.

the amount of traction you gain on the trail easily makes up for the annoying clicking sound around turns. If you don't want to hear the clicking, get on the gas a little bit....you'll just hear tires squeeling!

Back