• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Conversion Question: Air Shocks

THalladay

NAXJA Forum User
I'm interested in switching my cherokee to a 100% air spring setup (Something like Fox 2.5 Air Shocks)

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=182&cat=34&page=1

However I need information on how to do the crossover to control arms in the rear since I would be getting rid of my leaves. I can seem to find much info on it. Does anyone make a tri-link or 4-link for the cherokee rear? Something close / modifiable?

Background:
I have a '99 XJ with 6.5" lift & 35's. Running a ford 8.8 in the rear. Stock upper front UCA's, Adjustable LCA's. No long arm kit.

I have no experience working with steering geometries, but am a quick learn and have a good pool of local people to help with the implementation.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

if your asking these kinda questions your in over your head already.

not to be a dick but its just true.

at the point of your build right now you have no need for airshocks, or even a linked rear.

leaves are perfect for where your at now. links are better but with short arms up front you cant really get enough travel to make air shocks of warranted use anyways.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:

...with short arms up front you cant really get enough travel to make air shocks of warranted use anyways.

i use up every in oh my 12" shocks with my short arms... replacing the coils and shocks with a 12" airshock, it should use every bit of thoes 12" of travel too....

GrimmJeeper said:
Thanks. Was having a brain fart and searched for coilover conversions and was not having much luck, thought that was the next closest thing.

Dumptruck, no doubt I'm in over my head, but that's where I learn the most about what I don't already know.

I'm really not happy with the amount of articulation I'm getting out of my lift. I realize going to a long arm might help with that, but I would rather not take an intermediary step if switching to air springs / coilovers would be the ideal end goal. Really I want to turn my XJ into a more buggy-like crawler, with much better travel.

i guess that makes sense...

XJ_ranger said:
i use up every in oh my 12" shocks with my short arms... replacing the coils and shocks with a 12" airshock, it should use every bit of thoes 12" of travel too....

XJ_ranger said:

Not sure if it matters or anything but one difference w/ the 12" airshocks as opposed to your typical 12" travel shocks is length...

I believe the 12" 2.5's are something like 35" extended... where a typical Bilstein 5150 is something like 29-30"... so you may or may not get full droop out of it.... same for compression... (and I know you know this, just stating it for the original poster...)

I am curious though... anyone out there running the 2.5's on a full bodied XJ? I plan to link my rear this fall and know the 2.5's would be fine out back. BUT, what about up front w/ a 4.0, bumper, winch, etc......
Also, it's not a DD and I would like to do Coilovers but for the cost it's hard to beat the 2.0's or 2.5's...

2.5" X 14" Travel Fox Airshox.
Copyofantiroc1.jpg

A rear Anti-Roc style swaybar will be essential to any kind of off camber performance.

Agreed. If you're asking these questions you should try building a long arm kit up front first, before skipping to 3 ling rear end engineering.
You say you don't have any experience working with steering? Thats play dough compared to custom linking your XJ.

I'd have to guess you don't even own a welder?
Well bud, you've got lots to learn before you wanna switch
to air shocks and linked front and rear.

You gotta get dirty first, learn by doing.
Then some year you can tackle a big project
once you get the knowledge in order.

Back