• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sbcv8 swaps!!! Fuel problems!

llvllaximus

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I am quite new to this forum, but i am not new to the XJ and fab:scottm: Ok I would really like to see all of your v8 swaps in XJ's. BUT!!! I have a problem with mine!!! I have a 86 XJ 2.5 that i converted with a sb350. I I have the stock fuel pump in the tank still and i need to know how to hook it up proporly to the 350. I have a edelbrock 750cfm on it. It will start and run for 1 min then when i give it gas it dies. I can close the butterfly on it and it will put a little longer though. Whats my problem!!!! Any help is much appriciated! And lets see some awsome pics!!!

check the fuel supply. I would say you might be flooding it out. Was the 2.5 carbed or fuel injected? Carb applications generally run a lot lower fuel pressure than fuel injected setups

You need either an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get the pressure down to under 10lbs, or install an inline pump for carbureted applications and disconnect the in tank pump.

Ok so i just hook the infeed to the 350 mechanical pump, plug the return line, go from mechanical to carb, and unplug the electric fuel pump?

You know you can edit your Posts right? Yes it should pull through the electric pump... You could just add a new fitting in the tank and not have to worry about the electic one.

Just pull the whole electric pump, and put one without the electric pump on it? It would just be a regular feed fitting correct?

the stock jeep pump is too much fuel pressure for the carb...about 14 lbs. get a regulator and gauge and set the pressure at about 5lbs. as for the sendint unit in the tank find one from a 2.8 v6. they were carbed with a mechanical pump. worked on mine very well.

Something seems fishy here: you did this whole swap and now you're hung up on how to hook up a simple carb fuel pump? There's lots of ways to do it. I removed the stock in tank pump and put a pickup tube in its place, then put a pump down on the frame rail. You'd want a prefilter if there's no sock hooked up like the stock install. Holley red or blue pump will work ok with a cheapy regulator set to 5 psi.

Here's a 401, since you were asking for pics. Couple years old, the re-do is missing the wiring nightmare. :)

Not fishy...I want to use the electric pump, and i wanted to know if it was woth even trying to keep using it. So i turned to you guys. Ok now I have gauge and regulator on it. But! While its running the return pressurizes and acts like a feed line. It will shoot a screw right out the end of the hose. Oh and what to do with the little vaccum line from the sending unit?

Back