• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

triple thret electric fan kit temp setting?

JACKED COUNTRY

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys,i have a 95 cherokee country 4x4 with 33's and the 4.0l headers exhaust, 4.10 gears F&R, no thermostat(took it out last year thinking it would help with running hot and didn't put it back in yet).this summer has been murder with the heat,everytime we went out to the sand pits i would run for 30 minutes and then have to shut her down for 30 to cool off,so i broke down and bought the triple thret fan kit,got it all installed,now my questions is it is adjustable settings,i have to set the temp i want the fans to go on and off at,i have tried it on the lowest which keeps it about 165 degree with the temp gun and tried the highest which is 240 with the temp gun, i was reading up on engine temps and i know running low temp at 165 will hurt my gas milage but give me more power,and running high at 220 will increase my milage but drop my power output,what is the optimal temp for jeeps 4.0l engine,what should i set this at to give me the best of both worlds and keep my engine right? and if i can keep it at 165 will it shorten the life of my engine running this cold?)

its not a factor of cooling,the triple fans cool my truck great and i have not had any overheating problems since installing them,we went out yesterday and it was 95 outside and 70% humidity and i ran hard for 3 hours non stop with no over heating problems in the sand pits, truck stayed cooler then ever,what i am looking for now is fine tuning,what setting i should keep them at,right now i have them on the lowest which kicks them on at 165 engine temp and the engine stays there even pushing her hard in the sand,i want to know what i should keep them set at for 4.0l optimum that wont hurt my engine and is a good setting for everyday driving with weekend bashing and still keep my milage good.i dont really think i need to put the t stat back in because i can control engine temp with the fan controller.is 195 the temp for the best all around with my mods?my friend told me 165 will shorten the life of my engine by half and the shop that did my lift told me a cooler running engine will last longer and perform better.

Shop doesn't know what they're talking about. 195 to 200 is a good temp for the stock 4.0. If it's too cold the motor might stay in open loop which will guzzle gas and maybe cause excess carbon buildup on the piston tops and combustion chambers among other things. Engine oil is also designed to work better at much higher temps than 165. So you'll get more wear with a motor that's run too cold.

Kyung

I'd still put in a 195 degree factory thermostat. Regardless, your fans will keep it cool, but the thermostat will keep it at a level recommended for engine performance.

Then you can fine tune your fan temp sensor with the thermostat to keep it slightly below 210 when in the most harsh operating conditions.

I'd run it cold and use synthetic oil. For ever 10 degree drop in inlet air temp you gain 1% hosepower. So if you go from 195 to 175 thats 20 degrees or 4 hp. The temp on engines has been run up over the years for emissions and some components have been made to handle the extra heat. I don't think this makes it fair to say it was designed to run hot so you should run it hot. I'd set it at 170-175 if you can. But just out of curiosity does it seem like it runs better when it is running cooler? I think another advantage to having the fans come on early is that it will cool everthing else under the hood like your power steering. I noticed that when Yellowheap bypassed his auxilery electric fan it would blow continuosly across his power steering pump and intake manifold when mine was too hot to touch and working normally.

Stumpalump said:
I'd run it cold and use synthetic oil. For ever 10 degree drop in inlet air temp you gain 1% hosepower. So if you go from 195 to 175 thats 20 degrees or 4 hp. The temp on engines has been run up over the years for emissions and some components have been made to handle the extra heat. I don't think this makes it fair to say it was designed to run hot so you should run it hot. I'd set it at 170-175 if you can. But just out of curiosity does it seem like it runs better when it is running cooler? I think another advantage to having the fans come on early is that it will cool everthing else under the hood like your power steering. I noticed that when Yellowheap bypassed his auxilery electric fan it would blow continuosly across his power steering pump and intake manifold when mine was too hot to touch and working normally.
True, but that's inlet air temp. Not combustion chamber temp. The ideal would be cold intlet air with a hot combustion chamber. Ever wonder why you need to up the compression on a motor with aluminum heads to make the same amount of power as you would with iron? Because the aluminum runs much cooler than iron so you actually loose power unless you raise compression or go forced induction to compensate.

Kyung

yes it feels much peppier when running at 165 then when running at 220 but i dont want to hurt my engine,i already run castro syntec oil so i got that covered.i am going to set it at 200 just to be safe until i find out different.thanks everyone for the help and i love this forum i have learned a ton already,soon as i get my digital camera i will shoot some video in the sand pits of my baby.

i finally found the perfect engine temp for the triple thret fan kit i installed.sweet spot for the engine is 190 temp setting,i got the most miles per tank with it set at 190, before electric fan setup i got average 300-310 miles per tank with stock engine fan, after electric fan kit set at 190 temp i got 353 and 358 miles per tank on 2 tanks. 1 tank set at 165 temp got me 337 miles per tank.i am almost back the the mileage i was getting when the truck was all stock.going to seafoam the motor tomorrow and see if i can squeeze a few more miles per tank our of her.thanks for the help everyone

its made by ff dynamics,i got mine for 200.00 on ebay,it solved all of the problems i was having with overheating on the trail.fit was pretty much near perfect,it runs three 10 inch fans,it gave me a nice jump in gas mileage and power was noticable right away but then again my factory fan clutch was on its way out so hard to tell.it made more difference then my gibson header and it was half the price if that tells you anything,i felt more difference when we installed a pacesetter header in my friends cherokee then did i when we installed my gibson header on my truck.you can get a pacesetter header and a triple threat fan kit for the price of a gibson header alone

I am looking into this kit. Do you have any pictures of it? I would like to see how it sits where the old mech fan is removed.

I purchased the Red Triple Threat,but I have not installed it yet.
I'm doing some more things as well,I yanked all my A/C crap from
under the hood and I mounted my Alt. in it's place.
I am doing the seals on the oil adapter,new CCV stuff,etc.
I'll take pics

SANY0237.jpg

SANY0236.jpg

SANY0235.jpg

JACKED COUNTRY said:
i finally found the perfect engine temp for the triple thret fan kit i installed.sweet spot for the engine is 190 temp setting,i got the most miles per tank with it set at 190, before electric fan setup i got average 300-310 miles per tank with stock engine fan, after electric fan kit set at 190 temp i got 353 and 358 miles per tank on 2 tanks. 1 tank set at 165 temp got me 337 miles per tank.i am almost back the the mileage i was getting when the truck was all stock.going to seafoam the motor tomorrow and see if i can squeeze a few more miles per tank our of her.thanks for the help everyone
Is that were you ended up at was 190???

Blaine B. said:
Looks really good, what did you have to do with the bracket for mounting the alternator in the A/C's spot?
I have a post that tells you how.
Moved Alt to A/C mount & Elec. Fan Setup

It was rubi-xj's idea,then outlander helped.I THANK both of you!!!!!!!!

Back