• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pumps

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
2 weeks ago Friday, I had to stop in Denver because of cooling problems. Ended up being a clogged radiator, so I replaced that along with the thermostat and water pump (might as well do them all at once...right? wrong....).

Worked great for a week, but then the water pump started leaking from the weep hole very badly. I figured it was a bad water pump and replaced it again.

4 days after that, the second new water pump was leaking from the weep hole again.....obviously the chances of having 2 defective water pumps is pretty slim.....

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Belt is only a few month old, and tightened only enough to stop any squealing....

I noticed on Friday that the pump was leaking badly again for the 2nd time driving thru Wyoming. I filled the system back up with water so I could make it home. Over the next 1000+ miles it leaked on and off. Seemed to be worst in the morning when it was cool.....but as soon as I was driving a few hundred miles at a time, the leak seemed to have gone away temporarily......very weird problem.

Do you have a fan clutch? It might be bad, and out of balance? Some people prefer flex fans, as they don't have balance problems unless you broke or bent a blade? Watch your fan as it's running, does it wobble a bunch. Grab a hold of it when it's not running, can you wiggle it a bunch?

each pump he installs craps out on him, that is the nature of the question, right? that you are losing coolant from the weep hole and that's causing your over heat? you COULD have gotten that many bad pumps from parts houses, or, you may have your serp belt WAY too tight, or ...

mccastlej said:
Do you have a fan clutch? It might be bad, and out of balance? Some people prefer flex fans, as they don't have balance problems unless you broke or bent a blade? Watch your fan as it's running, does it wobble a bunch. Grab a hold of it when it's not running, can you wiggle it a bunch?

how would the fan effect the water pump on a 4.0? The fan does not go on the pump---it is a seperate shaft.

Have you checked the lower hose for pinholes which could be spraying toward the pump? How bout the heater hose from the thermostat housing? Or maybe the metal tube that runs from the pump to the heater hose is leaking?

Are you positive it is the pump? It seems extrememly unlikely you got 2 defective pumps, especially from diffrent stores.

as far as getting defective parts, it can happen. I work for advance and on some parts that we sell, the same supplier supples 4 or five companies. We had a bad batch of alternators a while back, it affected us and autozone, as well as pepboys I believe. Could have the same situation goin on out there. Doesen't happen often but sometimes...

avnsteve said:
each pump he installs craps out on him, that is the nature of the question, right? that you are losing coolant from the weep hole and that's causing your over heat? you COULD have gotten that many bad pumps from parts houses, or, you may have your serp belt WAY too tight, or ...

no....it is not overheating anymore (as long as i keep adding coolant/water) it's just losing coolant from the weep hole.

as for the belt too tight.....i made it just tight enough to stop any squealing, and no more

Jess said:
Have you checked the lower hose for pinholes which could be spraying toward the pump? How bout the heater hose from the thermostat housing? Or maybe the metal tube that runs from the pump to the heater hose is leaking?

Are you positive it is the pump? It seems extrememly unlikely you got 2 defective pumps, especially from diffrent stores.

it's definately from the pump....no question about it. all hoses are good.

I had a plugged line going to my overflow bottle that let the system build too much pressure on another vehicle. The extra pressure was to much for the seal in the water pump and it started weeping. Just a thought...

How about too much pressure in the system causing it to escape through the weep hole? I don't know but that sounds likely. Worth checking.

If I recall, Intrepid just bought a newer XJ Post 97' for his trip, so it's not the bottle. Possibly the cap, but not likely.

No, most likely is that he got a bad water pump.

Bummer...

Any chance of you driving back out to Denver to return that sucker? ;)

Two brand new water pumps One from Pepboys and one from Carquest.
Possible but not likely.

But we all have a chance to win the lotto to.

Back