• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you buy an '01 XJ???

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
There is a dealership w/ a '01 Classic 4x4 w/ 102,450 on it. I know about the head cracking issues, but if it's made it this far, is it still likely to happen? My brother bought a '00 4x4 XJ about 6 months ago w/ 180k on it and I think he's now at 186k and there aren't any signs of problems so I know that some are less likely to have the issue. I just remember reading that a lot of these problems were happening at 30-60k, so I'm just worried that it'll eventually happen...

I'd buy it and not worry about it, it should have some kind of warranty but keep an eye on the cracking area by looking thru the oil filler hole. If necessary you can always spend a saturday morning pulling the old head off and putting a new head on, it's not rocket science. You could also check and see what head it has on it.

These so-called "known issues" tend to create a sense of paranoia among potential owners. If all these heads were failing there'd be a huge recall. The 0331 heads simply have had a greater number of failures than other castings, and even then it's a really small percentage. You're probably more likely to have something else go wrong than have to worry about a cracked head. As you said, the vehicle has gone over 100K so if its head had a flaw it probably would've surfaced by now.

I did ... 2001 with 87000 miles. I stressed hard about the head thing ... finally gave up when I reaized you can buy a complete 0630 or 0331 remaned head for about $250 (valves and springs included).

=============================
These so-called "known issues" tend to create a sense of paranoia
=============================
I have two 01s and know of 4 more 99s and up with no head problems.

============================
didnt they switch to low pinion front axles up in those years
===============================
Yes my 2 Cherokee 01s are low pinion.

00 and 01s all came with LP D30s....they also have the distributorless ignition...and a PITA header/headpipe/O2 sensor configuration....Banks is the only aftermarket company for headers/exhaust manifold....

While it is something to be aware of, I also believe there is too much paranoia regarding the 0331 head. When I was looking I wanted an 00+ for the distributorless ignition and NV3550. The 2000 I bought now has 169K miles with no powertrain issues ever. If I had to do it again I'd do the same.

My last XJ was a 2001, totalled at around 115,000 miles and with no head issues. I'm currently driving a 126,000-mile 2000 (also with the 0331 head), and have zero problems as well.

Well, I have problems, but they're due to abuse. The drivetrain's fine from the engine on back.

My 2000 has 260,000 and the only non maint. component ever touched was the AC compressor. It averages 20mpg with the AW4 and has zero problems, I will run it till it blows. Not all 0331 heads crack, just more of them and like everyone said heads are cheap.

just buy it, i ended up buying a 2000 limited with 86000 on it.
even though it has a LP dana 30 in front, people still can lift them 3.5" with out issues ive been told.
i drove a 01 with a 4.5" lift with no issues but death wobble :]
i have since paid to have the famous evaporator replaced and the alt just went out... im now at 89,000 :(

Back