• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Cable repair...!!!!

ryan_earl

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have looked everywhere i have an 88 pioneer 4.0L manual.... im trying to fix my broken speedometer. All the articles ive come across tell you how to remove it and change the gaer but no articles on how to change the speedo cable itself. i know its come disconnected from the gear in the transfer case.ive disconected the cable housing from the little bolt holding it to the underside of the jeepo ive me a little slack when re connecting it. i never removed the housing completely but jsut removed the speedo cable from the inside of it and replaced with the new one. How far does the cable actually come out of the end going into the gear at the transfer case. mine only comes out about an inch or so. i pulled another cable from the junkyard the other day they are exactly the same length. so im thinking
A. Either mines broken
B. Ive pulled another broken cable
C. The gear assembly is worn out wwhere the cable connects
D. I'm not doing something right cause it still doesnt work when i hook it all back up.
im thinking i keep pulling the cable out of the gear assembly in the transfer case when i hook it up. Also is it supposed to be really tight when it hooks up to the gear assembly so it cant pop out again... please help... its been 3 days of work for a job that i think should taken a few mins i tired to give as much detail as i could. ill post pics tomm. if it will help...:gee:

Is there an electronic speed sensor just after the cable exit on the transfer case? You may have a two-piece speedo cable.

However, once you get the thing clear, you should be able to pull out the core cable and replace it. You can get replacement bulk cable with a crimp-on end at most locals - but you'll want a heavy-duty cable cutter or a set of metal shears to cut the cable, as it's pretty tough.

Cut to length, crimp on the end, then slip the new cable into place. Coat with dry graphite as you insert it - dry graphite will lubricate the cable against the sleeve, but it won't get crapped up like, say, white lithium grease will...

NO speed sensor, its all mechanical. ive pulled the cable completely out a few days ago to replace the old one that i "thought" was broken... now im having the same issues with the new one. i was thinking about making it two pieces since i have another cable but figure ill see what everyone says then go that route if nothing else.

Hm. There are two possible places for a speed sensor - and you could find it in one or both (I think one was for cruise, and the other for the ECU.)

There could be one down by the transfer case - you said there isn't.

There could also be one on the backside of the speedometer, but you've got to remove the IP to get at it. The IP is fairly easy to remove - four screws for the bezel (one over the headlamp switch, one over the cigar lighter, and two over the IP,) and four screws to retain the IP proper (two top, two bottom.)

Be careful pulling the IP out - there are two electrical connectors running about 12 leads each; and the speedo cable doesn't have much slack, either.

instument panel is already out i swapped it for one with a tach the origianl problem happened when i was trying to get my fuel gauge to work on the old IP irmoved the IP and didnt relize the set up at the time. my speedometer hasnt worked since that why im fixing it. So a few months without a speedometer and im finally fixing it or trying to i should say.

So, new IP... hooked speedo cable to it and pulled the slack you get by disconnecting it from the jeep body.

removed transfer case housing and gear assembly for the cable and made sure that everything was together and working properly sinning the gearto ensure my speedometer was turning.

put it all back together and take it for a spin NOTHING.....

when im connecting the sppedometer to the transfer cause it only comes out if the cable housing and inch or so and this is wherer im thinking its broken, becasue there isnt enough cable to go into the gear assembly, or so i "think". But when i test it before hookup i see that it turns the sppedo jsut fine... so im lost. ill post pics when i get home from work.

Sounds like the gear is not in contact with the drive gear in the case. Speedo is cammed and can be rotated in 4 positions at the case. you must rotate it till you have contact, This how they change speedo gears to different ratios. Its real easy to put it in the wrong place.

cdhowell said:
Sounds like the gear is not in contact with the drive gear in the case. Speedo is cammed and can be rotated in 4 positions at the case. you must rotate it till you have contact, This how they change speedo gears to different ratios. Its real easy to put it in the wrong place.

You hit it right on the money i checked into that, counted the number of tines on the gear and then mounted it correctly according to my tire size and 5 mins later im back into action... Thanks to all for the advice.

Back