• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear pinion nut stuck

BombThreat

NAXJA Forum User
I tried changing my rear pinion seal, but it came to a stop when I could not remove the nut... Its on there good, I tried a 3/4 breaker set and it would not come off...just roll the Jeep:fuse: How do I get this off and then get the pinion off which im 100% sure will be siezed on the splines.

big pipe wrench around the yoke. If you can, jam it against the groud, or somthing hard. Then use the 3/4 inch drive to get that nut loose. I use a floor jack to push up on the bar to make it easier.

Which rear are you working on? If its the 8.25 do not overtighten the pinion nut when you re-install it, you will further crush the "crush sleeve" which will change the pinion preload and cause premature bearing failure. It takes about 275 ft#'s to get the crush sleeve to start crushing but it happens very quick and leaves you little or no room for more tightness.

xjtrailrider said:
Which rear are you working on? If its the 8.25 do not overtighten the pinion nut when you re-install it, you will further crush the "crush sleeve" which will change the pinion preload and cause premature bearing failure. It takes about 275 ft#'s to get the crush sleeve to start crushing but it happens very quick and leaves you little or no room for more tightness.

Both Jeep rears use crush collars.

Most folks cant generate the force needed to affect preload.

You can also use a long cheater bar and lower the rear to the ground, let the weight of the vehicle do the work. Putting it back on, thats a different story.

First things first, make a reference mark on the nut and on the pinion, I use a small chisel to make a mark in both, that way you can line them back up on reassembly. Next you need to count how many threads are above the nut. Now take the nut off, A 1/2 in impact is easiest way. I use a harmonic balancer puller (sold at auto parts stores as that or a "bolt puller") to pull the yoke off the pinion. Change the seal and reinstall yoke, tap it down with deadblow mallet. Now tighten nut back down, leaving the same amount of threads exposed from end of nut and marks on nut and pinion lined back up. This is the easiest way to make sure you don't change your pinion bearing preload (which is the quickest way to destroy a pinion bearing). Hope i was of some help.

cbtu0914 said:
First things first, make a reference mark on the nut and on the pinion, I use a small chisel to make a mark in both, that way you can line them back up on reassembly. Next you need to count how many threads are above the nut. Now take the nut off, A 1/2 in impact is easiest way. I use a harmonic balancer puller (sold at auto parts stores as that or a "bolt puller") to pull the yoke off the pinion. Change the seal and reinstall yoke, tap it down with deadblow mallet. Now tighten nut back down, leaving the same amount of threads exposed from end of nut and marks on nut and pinion lined back up. This is the easiest way to make sure you don't change your pinion bearing preload (which is the quickest way to destroy a pinion bearing). Hope i was of some help.

Ditto.......You saved me a lot of typing.....

BombThreat said:
thanks for the help. i forgot to mention i tried a 1/2" impact and it didnt budge... i think its was rated for 220 ft/lbs

220 lbs is relatively weak for an impact gun...... My question is, are you going in the right direction...... Lefty loosey (counterclockwise). righty tighty (clockwise). I dont think I have ever seen a pinion nut not come loose with an impact gun.....

what size air compressor are you running, and how many PSI???

i've found that sometimes if you just need a little more, you can adjust the psi on the compressor up as high as it'll go, and it'll give the impact that extra little bit.

but generally air tools should be run around 90psi. i personally run my airtools around 120-140psi depending on the situation, but my tools are also MAC or SNAPON. even though my little harbor freight impact so far has been able to keep up with the name brand impacts pretty good. but i've also broken one from running to much pressure. your call.

Back