• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas guage/dummy lights

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
my gas guage varys from a have a tank to way above a full tank. it does this randomly no matter how much gas is in there. this happened around the same time my idiot lights quit working along with the E-Brake and part time lights. the dash lights come on but and the spedometer works but thats it. could this all be tide together or would the gas guage and lights be 2 different problems becuase of the gas guages activity?

The fuel gage and lights are probably two separate issues.

For the fuel gage, you may want to remove the sender (in the fuel tank - if you're lucky, you can access the tank without removing it. Check the upper front side) and either clean it or replace it outright. Brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and a toothbrush can work well to clean it - the additives in fuel can lead to varnish buildup, which can screw things up.

I've not had to source a replacement, so I can't help you there. I can tell you, however, that you should not use a steel hammer (rubber, wood, rawhide, brass, or lead all work) and you should not use a steel rod (I prefer brass) to undo the lock ring - you do not want sparks anywhere near your fuel tank, especially while it's open! Consider yourself edified (you should have at least a plastic or rawhide mallet in your toolkit anyhow...)

The lights may be something rather more simple - you happened to have a couple of bulbs burn out. Replace those - Hell, replace all of them while you've got the IP out (the main illumination lamps should be #194, and the small indicator lamps are probably either #37 or #74. Check to be sure...)

thanxs for the info... i have a buddy coming up from kennewick and he can help me with the sending unit... and im probably going to have to take it the shop for the lights because i have no clue what im even looking at in that area lol. the local shop will let me watch in and learn though. i just need to kno what i was dealing with. thanks again.

you cant go wrong by buying a
haynes or chilton repair manual there about $ 20.00 have a ton of info and it will show you how to do it your self step by step instructions with good drawings of your dash gauges. the chilton have smaller drawings from the one i have bought. best is to buy one of each because what one dont show the other just might. you are going to save quite a bit of money doing it yourself. look up your trouble in the books if it looks like hey i can do that. go for it . if you think it's over your head or don't have the tools to do it them ask a auto shop to take a look. you can save quite a bit of money that way. any auto zone or o'rieley's stock the manuals

leserz said:
haynes or chilton repair manual there about $ 20.00 have a ton of info and it will show you how to do it your self step by step instructions with good drawings of your dash gauges. the chilton have smaller drawings from the one i have bought. best is to buy one of each because what one dont show the other just might. you are going to save quite a bit of money doing it yourself. look up your trouble in the books if it looks like hey i can do that. go for it . if you think it's over your head or don't have the tools to do it them ask a auto shop to take a look. you can save quite a bit of money that way. any auto zone or o'rieley's stock the manuals

Erm - if you have the choice, get a Chilton's. If you have to look, get the Chilton's.

I've found Haynes useful for imports, but their domestic manuals are more properly used as fire-lighters (since they seem to lack useful information.)

Just to let you know - there are better ways to spend $20 than on a Haynes manual...

leserz said:

i have a chiltons... it is infact the moste basic and incomplete chiltons i have ever seen. But i will take a look anyways and read up on car electrical and the dash in thoughs. can never learn enough :)

Back