• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up Periscope…

XJJD

NAXJA Forum User
Up Parascope ....

K, So I decided to test my snorkel kit out the other day since it’s monsoon season here and there are a lot of mud puddles lurking around. You should have seen all the guys in their lifted Chevy’s saying “there’s no way he’s gonna make it” (apparently they have never seen an XJ in action.) It should be noted that I have no lift as of yet.

So me and my girlfriend dive in. I had the utmost confidence in the snorkel since I installed it myself and I am very meticulous, but I must admit I was puckered when the muddy water rose above the headlights and I couldn’t see anything since it was so dark out. All in all the water was over the hood for about 10 yards! We pulled out the other side without an issue to a round of applause and astonishment.

Well you play you pay right? We drove home without an issue and she ran fine until the next day in the afternoon when some jerkoff slammed on his brakes in front of me to make a turn needless to say I had to slam on mine. We made no contact but, immediately afterward I have had the following symptoms: (93 xj 4.0 HO 4x4 automatic w/ jet chip, psc steering box, cob job exhaust cowl hood and snorkel)

1. Won’t start unless the gas pedal is pressed 1/3 of the way.
2. Idle is very erratic (missing) or is very high 1500 rpms.
3. Stalls when put into gear
4. Stalls after sitting at a stoplight then pressing the gas slowly, (if the gas is pressed quickly it will hesitate then go).
5. All problems are intermittent happening mostly before she is warmed up and getting better to the point where they disappear.

What I’ve done:

1. Checked to make sure that the snorkel held up. Only found a few hints of a couple of drops of water getting into the bottom of the airbox (the air filter did not completely seal against the stock airbox). But no signs that the few drops had penetrated the air filter or gotten into the intake pipe.
2. Cleaned and degreased the entire jeep inside and out including engine compartment looking for loose connections and found nothing obvious.
3. Added Iso-heat to absorb any water that may have been in the fuel.

Well that’s about it, so anyone with some mudding experience hopefully knows where I should start but of course the issue may not even be related to that since it was the next day. All opinions or ideas are always welcome. Thanks JD

K, So I decided to test my snorkel kit out the other day since it’s monsoon season here and there are a lot of mud puddles lurking around. You should have seen all the guys in their lifted Chevy’s saying “there’s no way he’s gonna make it” (apparently they have never seen an XJ in action.) It should be noted that I have no lift as of yet.

So me and my girlfriend dive in. I had the utmost confidence in the snorkel since I installed it myself and I am very meticulous, but I must admit I was puckered when the muddy water rose above the headlights and I couldn’t see anything since it was so dark out. All in all the water was over the hood for about 10 yards! We pulled out the other side without an issue to a round of applause and astonishment.

Well you play you pay right? We drove home without an issue and she ran fine until the next day in the afternoon when some jerkoff slammed on his brakes in front of me to make a turn needless to say I had to slam on mine. We made no contact but, immediately afterward I have had the following symptoms: (93 xj 4.0 HO 4x4 automatic w/ jet chip, psc steering box, cob job exhaust cowl hood and snorkel)

1. Won’t start unless the gas pedal is pressed 1/3 of the way.
2. Idle is very erratic (missing) or is very high 1500 rpms.
3. Stalls when put into gear
4. Stalls after sitting at a stoplight then pressing the gas slowly, (if the gas is pressed quickly it will hesitate then go).
5. All problems are intermittent happening mostly before she is warmed up and getting better to the point where they disappear.

What I’ve done:

1. Checked to make sure that the snorkel held up. Only found a few hints of a couple of drops of water getting into the bottom of the airbox (the air filter did not completely seal against the stock airbox). But no signs that the few drops had penetrated the air filter or gotten into the intake pipe.
2. Cleaned and degreased the entire jeep inside and out including engine compartment looking for loose connections and found nothing obvious.
3. Added Iso-heat to absorb any water that may have been in the fuel.

Well that’s about it, so anyone with some mudding experience hopefully knows where I should start but of course the issue may not even be related to that since it was the next day. All opinions or ideas are always welcome. Thanks JD

Re: Up Parascope ....

There is alot of carbon in the throttle body I will do that thanks.

yeah, waterproof all of your electrical connections, and check into what needs to be done to your sensors and such.

cause water isn't really good for sensors in large quantities.

GOOD JOB THO! I applaud you for your guts. how hard was the snorkel install?

definately sounds like sensors to me. but all your water fording problems are not solved by installing a snorkel! water in the dist cap will kill you quick as water in the intake, just easier to fix! i was at rausch creek a few weeks ago, did no mudding whatsoever, and still ended up wtih some dirty water in the dist cap and the whole way home i was trying to figure out why i was running on 5 cyls. well i pulled the cap and found out pretty quick!

The snorkel was actually really easy to install I have the ARB safari and the kit came with a killer template for drilling the fender. I'm loving it so far. JD

lazarus said:
i would bet your tps got water in it. try using a sweep style multimeter to test it

I wasn't going to mention that it will start if I unplug the tps sensor because I didn't want to lead anyone to saying the tps could be bad. I have a Fluke multimeter how would I go about testing the tps? Is there an ohm's spec?

muddygp said:
definately sounds like sensors to me. but all your water fording problems are not solved by installing a snorkel! water in the dist cap will kill you quick as water in the intake, just easier to fix! i was at rausch creek a few weeks ago, did no mudding whatsoever, and still ended up wtih some dirty water in the dist cap and the whole way home i was trying to figure out why i was running on 5 cyls. well i pulled the cap and found out pretty quick!

Yea, I'm gonna pull the dist tomorrow and check it out. What's the best way to prevent water from getting in the dist cap?

Throttle position sensor? I hear those dont get along with water very well. I sunk my 93 in the water and killed the engine[thinking the dist got wet] and it would surge at idle. I cleaned out the dist and later replace the TPS and it was all good. HTH.

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
Throttle position sensor? I hear those dont get along with water very well. I sunk my 93 in the water and killed the engine[thinking the dist got wet] and it would surge at idle. I cleaned out the dist and later replace the TPS and it was all good. HTH.

yea, that's what I'm gonna do clean the dist then, if that doesn't help I'm gonna replace the TPS.

I am gonna chime in with the others, When i read that it dies if you feather the gas TPS popped into my head, My 90 did that until i replaced the TPS and had it calibrated. If you have a 90-older 4.0 you are going to need to recalibrate the TPS after you remove it and and clean it up or replace. I am not sure exactly how to recalibrate it but you need a digital multi meter to do so. If you have a high-output, you dont have to worry abour calibration, if i remember right.

Another reminder that just adding a snorkel does not make your vehicle waterproof. If you plan on making a habit of this, you might want to look into ways to waterproof sensors, relocating vent lines, and carry lots of wd-40. Ive only splashed above my headlights, but didn't suck up any water, but a snorkel is on the list of things to do.

Back