• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing question.

Jimbo_1321

NAXJA Forum User
so my girlfriend and her family went on a vacation and when they got to their destination they found out their minivan had a huge tranny leak. my question is whether or not it'd be wise to rent a dolly and go get them and the van. it's about a 4 hour drive. my jeep's got a 3-4 inch lift with 32x11.5 at tires gears are 3.73 there'd be 4 passengers and a driver, their luggage, and the minivan on a dolly (I'm pretty sure it's a toyota sienna)... sounds like quite a load to me but I figure just take it out of overdrive and don't go over 55 and it should be ok.... any thoughts? I really really would like some input on this. thanks!
Jim

I have pulled another XJ with mine on two occasions (on a dolly). Both times it worked, but the tranny got really hot and I had to stop alot to let it cool. Also the braking was very slow and I had to go to 1/2 to ease coming to a full stop. You can probably do it, but I'm sure it is not recommeded.

If you decide to go this route, make sure and change your tranny fluid soon afterward because it will be burnt.

I would rent a truck from u-haul as well.......save the wear and tear on my XJ.

Back