• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK on ford knuckle...d44 q?

rehab

NAXJA Forum User
Stock ford knuckles are reamed for a one tone tre from the bottom, UTK or w/e.

is there any way to run OTK on these knuckes? like a insert or anything?

HP44's (at least from a 78 Bronco/F150) are not reamed for one tons from the bottom. When I reamed mine from the top, the reamer cleaned all but the last .050 of the knuckle.

old_man said:
HP44's (at least from a 78 Bronco/F150) are not reamed for one tons from the bottom. When I reamed mine from the top, the reamer cleaned all but the last .050 of the knuckle.
mine are not fully reamed, i just checked. but the one ton tie rod fits in there pretty good. if i ream it from the top i will have a huge hole at the bottom and a sloppy tre. i think the guy before me might have done it. the truck i pulled it from was a 77 f 150.

I had the same results as old man. Reamed them from the top and ran it with out issue in regards to the tie rod hole. Had issues with it being on the factory knuckle though, High steer fixed all that :D

AARON

Its the tapered portion of the tre that matters so you can ream it from the top just enough to work fine. The straight threaded portion might not necessarily slide in tightly but once the castle nut is torqued down the tapered portion should seat.

In that chevy 1ton tie rod setup, the tie rod end at the passenger knuckle is pretty narrow (The other high misalignment tre's are much wider) so its easy to accidently ream it too much. You can only place so many washers under the nut before the body of that tre contacts the knuckle. I accidently did this so ended up drilling a thru hole and welded a machined insert in place. If you need i might be able to find the simple .dwg i made.

High steer would be nice.

took some pictures today

this is how i got the knuckle. i haven't done anything to it yet.
008-1.jpg

and this is the view from the bottom with the tre OTK
007-1.jpg

I think I have a pair of Factory Ford knuckles in the garage reamed OTK for one ton ends. If you accidently ream too far or want the knuckles and need another set, PM me and I can get you a price shipped.

AARON

Back