• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Pipe (after header) Question

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I want to find a mandrel bent head pipe (the one that goes between your header and your muffler) with a hole for oxygen sensor. I called Banks Exhaust and talked to them they claimed that they used to sell them for 100 dollars but they were low in demand so they discontinued them. Then called Quadratec and they have no suppliers for this part. I want this part I think that the stock head pipe is a joke with it's restrictive, crappy bends. Please if you know where I can get this let me know! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
pace setter sells them, but it only comes bundled with their headers... I'm in the same boat though...all I can find is $75 crush bent ones...

why dont we get a group together and prove to banks that there's a demand?

how hard would i tbe custom make one? I would think for the o2 sensor you just need a hole and a nut that fits the sensor? Or is it a lot more complicated than that. I work at a welding/fab shop so I have access to mandrel benders, drill presses, tig welders, basically everything necessary :)

The HEGO bung is a standard part, and any exhaust shop should have plenty (it's a weld bung with M18-1.5 thread in it.) Nearly any exhaust shop should be able to bend a pipe for you as well - just take the old one in and say "duplicate this without the flat here." The HEGO sensor, however, properly belongs in the header collector and not the downpipe, tho - operating temperature for that thing is up around 700*F, and you want to keep it as warm as possible. A few inches can make a huge difference!

The idea behind the crimp there is to prevent "self-clearancing" on the front driveshaft, probably less of a problem for lifted rigs.

Call around to local exhaust houses, and see what they can do for you. It should be fairly simple - since it can be done off the vehicle, and you can take in a sample for them to work from.

I was told when I asked about a head pipe is it's not 50 state legal as some 4.0's have a cat in the pipe, so they don't make it vendors don't like selling stuff that isn't legal. A local exhaust shop could bend one up for you pretty easy.

DanMan2k06 said:
how hard would i tbe custom make one? I would think for the o2 sensor you just need a hole and a nut that fits the sensor? Or is it a lot more complicated than that. I work at a welding/fab shop so I have access to mandrel benders, drill presses, tig welders, basically everything necessary :)

Making one out of the u shaped exhaust tube pieces sold at Summit and other parts purveyors is not too difficult.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294820497+115+4294864608
I just reused the O2 bung and clamp from my stock junk.
standard.jpg

Barger said:
I was told when I asked about a head pipe is it's not 50 state legal as some 4.0's have a cat in the pipe, so they don't make it vendors don't like selling stuff that isn't legal. A local exhaust shop could bend one up for you pretty easy.

are you kidding?

vendors sell alot of parts that aren't legal. they say for off highway use only on the parts!

O2s have the same thread pattern as spark plugs. You can buy spark plug non fouler adaptors and cut the ends off and weld them in. Just an FYI as none of the muffler shops around here have that kind of shit.

BlueCuda said:
O2s have the same thread pattern as spark plugs. You can buy spark plug non fouler adaptors and cut the ends off and weld them in. Just an FYI as none of the muffler shops around here have that kind of shit.

Non foulers work great and can be found at just about any parts store. There are quite a few vendors that sell the actual bung also. I picked some up off a guy on ebay that sells under the name performance-curve. $4.50 for a pair of them if I recall.

Making the header down pipe for the XJ should be well within the capabilities of ANY exhaust shop. If they can't handle making one, I wouldn't trust them any where near my vehicles. You should be able to get one bent up for 50-75 bucks.

IslanderOffRoad said:
are you kidding?

vendors sell alot of parts that aren't legal. they say for off highway use only on the parts!

No not kidding that is the reason given to me by multiple header manufacturers. So atleast they aren't interested in marketing non street legal products.

Back