• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Might be buying this used Jeep this weekend, advice needed.

Mastodon

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to go check out this Jeep at Aberdeen used cars in Maryland sometime this weekend.

www.getauto.com/autoli...dealer_id-

I don't have any mechanically inclined friends to take along, so I was wondering what all I should look for when I inspect the vehicle.

Obviously I should check to make sure all the lights operate, wipers work, etc. and so forth.

But what specifically should I listen/look for when I start it up and look under the hood and body?

It also has a lift on it, is there anything I should know about how lifted Jeeps handle on the road before I go out there and test drive it?

Also, I really don't know anything about vehicles more than how to change a tire and the necessary fluids, but I'm trying to learn so it'd be cool if you guys could put any advice in laymans terms.

Mastodon said:
I'm going to go check out this Jeep at Aberdeen used cars in Maryland sometime this weekend.

$5500 for a '96 (especially with the interior in that condition) sounds high. Looks like a $3000 XJ - particularly since lifted vehicles are worth less than their stock counterparts.

Look for leaks....especially between the engine and trans.

Look for dents on the undercarriage, scrapes, etc.

Look for rust in the rockers and the area behind the rear wheels.

Look for damage to the front cross member, look inside the front fenders with door open to spot replacement body panels.

HTH

Tell you what......as a way to help out a noob, pay for me to fly out there and I will be happy to go over it with you, no charge. I only ask that if you buy it you also purchase a NAXJA membership in return for my help.

Rev

Last edited:
Back