• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-Tec retreads are on... Discount Tire store sucks

Beast XJ01

NAXJA Forum User
Well, got my new bumpers on (pics coming) and the lift kit (pics coming) and went to go get the High-tec 30's mounted at Discount tire (as recommended http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=925309 ) and the manager (looked about 14 years old) said they wouldn't touch retreads.... he said (and I quote) "they may be fine for big rigs but I wouldn't but them on a car, not a Jeep... you should take them back to where you bought them and get your money back". I thanked him for his time, not that he's ever seen a retread before in his probbly 2-3 years in the workforce, and drove up the street to Metro 25 tire. They mounted, balanced, and installed 4 of the 5 for $98... the other one was the spare. Never batted an eye, they did comment that all four tires "took alot of weight" but they balanced.

Overall, I'm happy...but Discount tire now sucks.

Beast

Franchise chain tire stores don't want to problem solve or get into diagnosing and fixing non-stock vehicles. They just want to sell tires. I have found a local independent tire shop and my tires are always perfectly balanced and they don't wreck my center caps or cross thread my lug nuts. The same tire tech has been there for 3 + years.

I also go to an independent alignment shop that does everything including semi trucks. The can fix any problem I have and they don't try to sell me a new battery or wiper blades every time I go in.

I got America's tire to mount/balance my retreads... they brought some things up, I just said, yeah, I know, I'm paying you to put them on, could you get back to that please?

$98!?!

Daymn! Cost me $40 to have my 5 33" Bighorns mounted and balanced.

Hale

Haleyes said:
$98!?!

Daymn! Cost me $40 to have my 5 33" Bighorns mounted and balanced.

Hale

Yeah... 5 tires, mounted and balanced.... 4 disposals.
I may look into other options later, but the old tires HAD to go. I didn't feel like driving around looking. should have done more checking around last week.

Discount tire WAS going to do it....until they knew they were retreads.

Beast

I work at Discount Tire, actually on my lunch break as I write this. The main reason we won't touch things like that, is OUR safety, as well as yours. Yes retreads can be perfectly safe, but because of some things that happened as of late (of which I am not at liberty to discuss), we are being extra strict on what we will, and will not do. Sorry that you came out feeling that way, but there are many reasons behind it (that and every Discount seems to be a wee bit different).

Justin

Mike1331 said:
How much did it cost to retread your tires?

They did not retread my tires... they get the casing from suppliers on their own.

the tires were $55 each, and shipping for 5 was $64. quite a deal.

Beast

freerider15 said:
I work at Discount Tire, actually on my lunch break as I write this. The main reason we won't touch things like that, is OUR safety, as well as yours. Yes retreads can be perfectly safe, but because of some things that happened as of late (of which I am not at liberty to discuss), we are being extra strict on what we will, and will not do. Sorry that you came out feeling that way, but there are many reasons behind it (that and every Discount seems to be a wee bit different).

Justin

ooOOo top secret tire news

Odd.

Just dodged a retread today after it left the truck it was on.

Of course.....usally I see them after the truck tosses them....not during. This one took the guys right front fender, lights, spalsh guards, etc. off with it.

Retreads? Never.

Props to Discount.

Rev

Beast XJ01 said:
Well, got my new bumpers on (pics coming) and the lift kit (pics coming) and went to go get the High-tec 30's mounted at Discount tire (as recommended http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=925309 ) and the manager (looked about 14 years old) said they wouldn't touch retreads.... he said (and I quote) "they may be fine for big rigs but I wouldn't but them on a car, not a Jeep... you should take them back to where you bought them and get your money back". I thanked him for his time, not that he's ever seen a retread before in his probbly 2-3 years in the workforce, and drove up the street to Metro 25 tire. They mounted, balanced, and installed 4 of the 5 for $98... the other one was the spare. Never batted an eye, they did comment that all four tires "took alot of weight" but they balanced.

Overall, I'm happy...but Discount tire now sucks.

Beast
My first set of retreads cost me $20/tire at a Discount Tire in Austin. I was pleasantly surprised at the deal the store here in Lubbock gave me.

freerider15 said:

Justin

ehh, it happens...it's just the way the specific guy went about it that irritates me. Probably never seen a retread in his (YOUNG) life...and to say they are "fine for big rigs" y'now, vehicles that have a lot more weight on them and do alot more driving ...but not cars.... just spoke of ignorance and heresay. not company policy.

Thanks for chiming in tho'.

Beast

Rev Den said:
Odd.

Just dodged a retread today after it left the truck it was on.

Of course.....usally I see them after the truck tosses them....not during. This one took the guys right front fender, lights, spalsh guards, etc. off with it.

Retreads? Never.

Props to Discount.

Rev

I've been running the high tech retreads for over a year. I'll regularly drive them at speeds of 80mph on the highway. I also air them down to 15psi for wheeling.

A year later and all that abuse and they look as good as the day I bough thtem. Hi tech knows what they're doing.

Why do they charge you for gettin rid of the old ones, they get money from tire companys for returning them, wat a bunch of ripoffs

sorry folks, my dad lost a 2 year old tire on his pickup truck, it had almost 5000 miles on it, tore off front fender,light,running board,drivers door skin..So new or retread is a game of chance, they replaced all 4 tires on his truck

MrShaft696 said:
ooOOo top secret tire news

No, just risking my job if corporate "happened" to find out I was talking about it. Lets just say someone got very VERY badly hurt while working at one of the Discounts.

ZacSquatch said:
Why do they charge you for gettin rid of the old ones, they get money from tire companys for returning them, wat a bunch of ripoffs

We charge, because WE get charged. No we don't make any money off of it, we DO have to pay tire recyclers to come and pick up our "dead" tires. We recycle everything (steel/aluminum wheels, tires, steel/alum. wheel weights).

The main idea behind it, is that Discount Tire as a company does not want to take any more risks, or undertake any more liability then we already have to. Its a fact that a retread is not going to be as safe as a normal tire. Therefore, we won't install them usually. Who do you think gets taken to court if you happen to blow out a tire, and something severe were to happen? Yup, thats right...Discount Tire would. Im just a tire tech (one of the guys out back doing the real work) and im not saying Discount is any better or worse than anyone else. Im just trying to explain why and expell any myths people seem to have about us.

Justin

so why does one store charge 5.00 an the other charges 7.50, when i know the state doesn't say to charge that much, i know in cal they don't

It costs me $6 a tire to get mine mounted and balanced at the corner Ashland. $98 is obscene.
They charge to discard tires, because when the "tire truck" comes to pick the old ones up... they charge the business per tire.
Usually the business gets charged $2-3 a tire, I guess they jack it up to make a buck.
Locally, they just charge $2-3 to break even on the diposal charge.

Last edited:
Back