• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end noise

flexinout

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 xj, 4wd,aw4,auto and it has 3.5" lift on 31's,adjustable track bar and beefed up tye rods, i get an annoying pop when i turn my wheel. All zerks are greased and everything seams to be in good condition and the ball joints are great, but there is a pop and i cant for the life of me figure out what it is. anyone got any ideas?

Could be your new trackbar. Did you break the bolt at the axle end on the old one? I installed a new trackbar, and broke the old rusted bolt. Replaced it with a new 10mm bolt and locknut. I think the old bolt had a long shoulder on it. With this one, it rocks slightly on the bushing, making a clunk when I turn the wheel back and forth. It's tightened down well, so it actually has to build up some tension or compression before it suddenly pops over that 0.5mm or so against the threads of the bolt. Makes a hell of a clunk when it does.

Get someone to go under and check to see if it is moving while you rock the steering back and forth. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get a new long-shouldered trackbar bolt.

Geoff

Same problem on my 87. It was my U-joints.

can be a trackbar, tierod ends, draglink end, ujoints, or steering box. Check all for play

did the wheel turn test and its coming from the steering box area. Nothing is loose and you cannot see anything move but its there. Also it only pops within a wheel turn of center. any more idea would be great

Back