• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ

nozzleboy352

NAXJA Forum User
Alright here we go. Im looking at buying an 1998 XJ limited with 163k on it. My first Jeep, hell my first off road vehicle. It has some minor problems but the main thing seems to be the rear end. The suspension makes some weird noises when the weight shifts(creaking,squeaking) which Im not sure if its normal or not in jeeps, I figure it can be fixed with new suspension when its lifted. My main problem though seems to be the differential (dana 35) Its been replaced once with one from a 2001 but it leaked water in some how and even after changing the oil in it its makes a whirring noise of it wearing out. I would like to eventually change it out for a Dana 44 and probably just put some disc brakes on it. Ive found one off a 87 grand wagoneer but my XJ has abs and from what Ive heard that could pose as a problem. I would like some input on this. I did do some searching but havent found anything on this situation. Now this is my one option but I have found a 97 ZJ with 108k on it that Im yet to drive but not exactly sure which is better. Any suggestions or comments will be gratefully accepted. Sorry for writing so much just needed to get some help.

My opinion:
Find an XJ with the Chryco 8.25. Don't start with something that already has major issues.

RockTracXJ said:
My opinion:
Find an XJ with the Chryco 8.25. Don't start with something that already has major issues.

Disagreed, but I understand why you're saying this.

The C8.25 is superior to the D35 in terms of strength, but for stock use / mild modification, the D35 will hold up just fine. And while the C8.25 may be comparable to a D44 in terms of strength, the aftermarket just isn't there for it. Assuming this is meant to be a stocker or learner Jeep, the D35 isn't a bad axle to have as long as its limitations are a) understood and b) adhered to.

The creaking and squeaking heard could be something as simple as leaf springs (or other components) in need of lubrication. As for the whirring... That would make me suspect.

Having just had a D44 from an '88 installed in my 2000 along with disc brakes, this is definitely a good plan. ABS wasn't an issue in my case; I just pulled the appropriate fuses from the PDC to disable it and left all of the ABS equipment in place. Quite frankly, with the rear discs the ABS is fairly redundant. Issues involving ABS reliability were pretty much restricted to pre-'92 XJs, so for '97-up it's mostly a non-issue.

With the 8.25 as popular as it is in the later models, why would anyone even consider the 35, especially if it already has known issues.

If you're planning on pulling the axle not long after you get it, it's not that big of a deal. If you plan on driving it awhile, get something without problems. You don't need something major going bad back there.

Back