• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clean aftermarket stereo installation?

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I searched and couldn't find anything on this. Not quite sure which forum to put this in but anyway here goes: I want to replace the stock head unit and 6cd changer for 2 things - I want the cargo area and I want better sound. However, looking at the size of the stock unit, i'd say its about a 1 1/2 DIN unit. I would want to replace it with something very clean looking (no ghetto adapter rings, refined, non-gimmicky appearance with no ugly decals, no technicolor large-pixel lcd screen...). Perfect would be one with a 1/8 input jack on the front so I can use my mp3 player with it easily.

I would also like to replace the speakers in my XJ with bigger, better ones, perhaps infinity reference or the like, and cut the stock locations to fit these, once again in a clean, non-ghetto manner.

I'd like pics if you have any. TIA for your help.

I know "what will fit" and I have ordered from crutchfield before. However, I want to modify the stock mounts to fit bigger speakers and the adapters that usually ship with Crutchfield head units are cheap, ugly, plasticky, and generally not my style.

There are some 1.5 din head units out there. I have a Pioneer unit in mine. It doesn't have a front input. But it does have an aux input in the rear. I have my iPod hardwired into the aux input.

It's really easy to put 6.5" speakers in the front doors. No cutting required. Just some new mounting holes.

The one thing that you have to watch out for is the mounting depth. If the speakers are too deep, your front windows will hit them and not go down all the way.

I replaced my head unit and speakers. I didn't go bigger with the speakers, but went better with a higher amp rating. (The head unit with removable face plate)A JVC KD-LH810, I also bought an install kit with it at Best Buys. No cutting into factory wiring or dash. I can put the stock radio back later if I care to. It does have a ring, but looks good not tacky. It matched the same gray as other parts on my dash panel.
I'm adding amps and a subwoofer now also. You can turn those screens off or put a picture of something else you like in it. The hook ups for the MP3 and SIRIUS are in the back, but i ran an adaptor to access the MP3 connection so I can plug my laptop into it.

I'm gonna get a Pioneer 1 1/2 din unit. How about speakers? What do you recommend? I'd really like to go bigger but I don't know what will fit. Joe

I was almost going to go take pics of my 6x9's for ya then looked into your info and my 87' orange to your 99' apple won't mix, I don't think.

Back