• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine stumbles during 1st start

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this has been beaten to death....

My 88XJ 4.0l has had a engine stumble problem for along time (years).

But it only does it during the 1st start of the day or if the car has been sitting for several hours (ie coming home from work).

The engine will start just fine. I leave it idle for a minute or so, put it in gear, rev up the engine and....stumble,cough, stumble...

I leave it idle again, rev it up let out the clutch and the car will take of with a series of jerking motions. Sometimes when I get to the end of my street and stop at the stop sign the engine will die...but it starts right up and Im off again.

After the first couple of minutes of driving everything is fine.

Any ideas? Just as I note I stay up on all the maintenance items, oil changes, tune-ups, lubes, etc. The XJ has 246,000 miles on it and was bought new.

Lester

check your fuel pressure after downtime, or try and cycle your key on and off a few times before startup. My fuel rail bleeds pressure after a while and I end up with no pressure when starting, which leads to 1,2 or three attemps at starting the engine

Back