• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Benefit of Suspension Seat?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
What is the benefit of a suspension seat compared to a standard aftermarket "racing" seat?

I've got a line on a set of used Corbeau GT7's for $150 for the pair. Corbeau brackets run $89 a piece.

New Hunsaker Synkro suspension seats run $355 on ebay, and I'm close enough to pick them up. I'd have to fab my own brackets for these.

What would you pick and why? I'd like to know if the suspension seat is worth the cash, it kinda comes to a wash if I buy Corbeau's brackets.

IslanderOffRoad said:
What is the benefit of a suspension seat compared to a standard aftermarket "racing" seat?

I've got a line on a set of used Corbeau GT7's for $150 for the pair. Corbeau brackets run $89 a piece.

New Hunsaker Synkro suspension seats run $355 on ebay, and I'm close enough to pick them up. I'd have to fab my own brackets for these.

What would you pick and why? I'd like to know if the suspension seat is worth the cash, it kinda comes to a wash if I buy Corbeau's brackets.

your ass wont feel what your jeep is doing? seems pointless to me

WaXJ_Skier said:
your ass wont feel what your jeep is doing? seems pointless to me
Its just the opposite! Instead of being tossed around like in a factory set-up,you are totally "sucked" into the seat and the only movement is the vehicle itself !!
Caution....You may fall asleep at the wheel because they are so comfortable!!
0603997-r1-046-21a.jpg

RCP Phx said:
Its just the opposite!Instead of being tossed around like in a factory set-up,you are totally "sucked" into the seat and the only movement is the vehicle itself !!
Caution....You may fall asleep at the wheel because they are so comfortable!!
0603997-r1-046-21a.jpg

I like that getting tossed around feeling it's why I wheel.

WaXJ_Skier said:
I like that getting tossed around feeling it's why I wheel.
Yeah,but my back says different at the end of the day! Theres no comparison between my stock 2k seats and my 95's Corbeau's.Both rigs have the same lift!! And a much better "feel" of whats going on outside!

I'm young, getting sore doesn't bother me much, but I do want something with some serious bolstering to hold me in place. I used to run Corbeau A4's in my Mustang and I loved them... shoulda kept em for the Jeep. My 06 Honda Accord has better seat bolstering than my Jeep!

IslanderOffRoad said:

At the end of a day of driving to Moab, about 1100 miles from my house, my back doesn't hurt and I'm ready for the trails when I get up the next morning. With my stock seats I was good for about 4 hours on the road or 2 hours on the trail before I felt like I'd been kicked by a mule. While you may not think you need them, your body will thank you.

They generally are more comfortable, keep you in a stable position that allows you to put the rig in more off camber positions, they breathe better, allow more seat belt choices including multi-point harnesses, allow more flexibility in placement, are generally built to withstand more energy than the stock seats (I've broken a stock seat into three pieces in an accident) and, quite honestly, they look good.

I prefer PRP seats.

John90XJ said:
I prefer PRP seats.

I've looked at alot of seats, and I prefer to keep a seat with the recline function. I ran fixed backs in a Chevy S10 and didn't like it.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I've looked at alot of seats, and I prefer to keep a seat with the recline function. I ran fixed backs in a Chevy S10 and didn't like it.

Suspension seats can be had with a recline now.

To each his own. I like mine and like most power functions, I set it and forget it. I never seem to move my seat, my mirrors, my tilt steering wheel, yada, yada....

John90XJ said:
Suspension seats can be had with a recline now.

To each his own. I like mine and like most power functions, I set it and forget it. I never seem to move my seat, my mirrors, my tilt steering wheel, yada, yada....

true, but i can't exactly set a fixed back seat, its one way.

i'm looking at the hunsaker reclinable suspension due to the price.

What bothers me the most is the inability to stretch my right leg completely, even with the seat all of the way back (95 XJ). Left leg, no problem! But the right leg gets tired after a few hours of driving without being flexed completely. I'm only 6' too.

Blaine B. said:
What bothers me the most is the inability to stretch my right leg completely, even with the seat all of the way back (95 XJ). Left leg, no problem! But the right leg gets tired after a few hours of driving without being flexed completely. I'm only 6' too.

I mounted my PRP on the stock power seat base and in the full back position I can't reach the pedals. It works out great since the range of motion now is where I want it, not where the factory decided to put it 17 years ago.

I'm also 6' and a big guy as well and having the ability to stretch out makes road trips a joy.

Now don't the rally cars run similar seats to the Corbeau GT7? I would think any quality aftermarket seat would work fine. If your going to drive a trophy truck maybe the Baja style would be better.

I like the suspension seats because of the comfort and safty they provide, Mine are the PRP Comp Highback. The seats are lighter and stronger then the factory ones. My seat mounts are part of the cage and are not going to break or fold in the event of a roll over. I also run 5pt harnesses tied to the cage as well.

I probably wouldn't have gone with reclining seats, even if they had been out when I bought mine. I spent a bit of time adjusting, reclining and moving the drivers seat around untill i found the position "I" wanted the seat. After that the brackets were welded in. For the passenger seat I just moved it back as much as possible to give the most leg room.

In a DD I think the comp seats would be a pain, but since I have a fixed sholder bar and I have to climb into the jeep the high bolsters don't bother me. I need to get a removable steering wheel though, That would make getting in and out much easier.

John90XJ said:
I mounted my PRP on the stock power seat base and in the full back position I can't reach the pedals. It works out great since the range of motion now is where I want it, not where the factory decided to put it 17 years ago.

I'm also 6' and a big guy as well and having the ability to stretch out makes road trips a joy.

That's sweet. But I bet it makes the rear seat even more of a hellish place for rear passengers. That rear area is soooo tiny.....bah!

Blaine B. said:
That's sweet. But I bet it makes the rear seat even more of a hellish place for rear passengers. That rear area is soooo tiny.....bah!

The rear seat is in the attic above the garage.It probably is hellish up there today since it's >80* out. :flame:

I use my rear seat. Odds are it will get replaced with a Grand rear seat, or some more buckets

Blaine B. said:

You too, huh. That's why I'll be redoing the mounts for my Beards to move the seat back another inch or two.

Back