• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford dana 60 or nine inch swap

y-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently, trying to get rid of the turdy five, in my rig. I have a choice of buying a 9'' with maching gears or a 60 with maching gears ''to my dana 30'' 355 front diff. But the real, question is is what would be better for my set up, Im running 33's and i tend to hammer on it, in the mud, to piss off rich people when they see my rig covered in mud. ASwell as trying hard stuff in two wheel drive, but at the same time i want to get into rock crawling and I all ready try the hardest and most vertical ''hills'' trails around my area which are hard to find but when I find em I give it my all. I am probably going to weld or spool the rear and also which axle would be easier to re-=drill to match my dana 30's lug pattern...''sorry if this hard to understand any info is very appreciated'' thanks

both are much wider and a different bolt pattern than your D30. The 9" will be easier to convert to the same bolt pattern. The shafts in the 60 are D44 size.

an XJ D44 would likely be cheaper and definitely easier than either of those and will hold up fine to 33s (or 35s) in Ohio terrain.

You do not want to run a narrow front axle and a wide rear. A wider front is not uncommon, but I haven't heard of people running a wider axle in the rear. Can you get a matching front axle for either rear axle?

A 60 is much easier to shave than a 9". If you're going to stay on 33s, that might be important, considering that you said you want to get into rockcrawling.

I'm running D30 4.88's front and a spooled 9" in the rear...The 9" is about five inches total wider than the D30....It works freakin great! One of the best mods I've done....Oh, and my 9" came w/matching 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and 31 spline axle shafts....The spring perches even matched up....I'm not 100% sure what it came out of but I bought it for $50 complete off of eBay, and then regeared and added 4.88's....Wider in the back, narrow in the front is working great for me....I'm on 35's....I think that the aftermarket availability is greater for the 9" than the 60....JMO

I don't know what I was thinking when I said I had never seen a shaved 9". I just remembered an issue of 4 Wheel and Offroad where they built a 35-spline 9" and used a high-clearance Currie housing.

Please ignore all of my posts in this thread.

jeep-man-man said:
I'm running D30 4.88's front and a spooled 9" in the rear...The 9" is about five inches total wider than the D30....It works freakin great! One of the best mods I've done....Oh, and my 9" came w/matching 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and 31 spline axle shafts....The spring perches even matched up....I'm not 100% sure what it came out of but I bought it for $50 complete off of eBay, and then regeared and added 4.88's....Wider in the back, narrow in the front is working great for me....I'm on 35's....I think that the aftermarket availability is greater for the 9" than the 60....JMO

That is the same setup, I want to run ive got the 4.88's for the front ''d30'' and I plan on running a spooled rear. Thats kick ass, that the 9'' bolted right in. Im pretty sure im gonna get the 9'' for like 40 or 50 bucks and then get a mini spool for it for like 35 at summit, does anyone run one of those ''mini spool''..?

this thread sux.
get an XJ44
or do the fullwidth rear and get a HP44 or 60 out of the same truck

skyjackedxj96 said:
this thread sux.
get an XJ44
or do the fullwidth rear and get a HP44 or 60 out of the same truck

maybe the xj 44 but NO DEAL on swapin the front..quit postin your just makeing the thread worse by your prezents.thanks

Actually, this thread started sucking right here:

y-townxj said:
Im running 33's and i tend to hammer on it, in the mud, to piss off rich people when they see my rig covered in mud.

Back