• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap

CROSBIKE

NAXJA Forum User
Can i put a 93 high output engine out of an Xj into a 1999 TJ? I know that it has no distributor and that stuff but are there any other issues? please explain the issues. thanks.
alex

never mind i figured it out.

Last edited:
The motor will bolt in but the computer and wiring would need to be taken along with the motor. Also i believe both motors use a cap and rotor set up. I think that changed in 01

First off, I have a 93 XJ with the 4.0l HO and it definetly has a distributor. Secondly, I hope you are planning on keeping that TJ as an off-road only vehicle. Many states have regulations prohibiting putting an older motor into a newer vehicle. Plus a 93 is a pre-OBD engine. After 96 all engines were equipped with the OBD system.

just use the 99 wiring and sensors that are already in the tj on the 93 engine. might also want to use the 99 intake manifold,as it flows better than the 93. but like already stated,check your state's emission laws to see if this a legal swap.

cjben said:
just use the 99 wiring and sensors that are already in the tj on the 93 engine. might also want to use the 99 intake manifold,as it flows better than the 93. but like already stated,check your state's emission laws to see if this a legal swap.
why wouldnt it be leagal, wih the exception of slightly diffrent heads both motors are identical internally

ROBZ95Xj said:
why wouldnt it be leagal, wih the exception of slightly diffrent heads both motors are identical internally

in some states the engine in the vehicle has to be the same or newer as the vehicle. i am not sure how they would tell on a 93 4.0 with all the stuff from a 99 on it,if it were me i would probably try to slip it by the inspectors,but no emissions testing here yet thankfully

Back