• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front seat reinforcment

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever re-built/reinforced the front seats on an XJ?? When I make a right turn, the right rear corner of my driver's seat lifts off the ground, and attempts to pitch me through the window. I'm curious to know if I can weld this back together, or if I'm going to have to get creative with bracing and strap iron.....

*edit*
Forgot....working on 89 XJ Limited...Power Leather seats, pwr windows, the whole 8.5 yards....

Good grief, I feel your pain man, I really do. I have had not only the studs that hold the bracket down break, but also the internal seat fram break. They really aren't very sturdy being constructed of thin gauge stamped steel, with only spot welds to hold it together. It is likely that if it isn't a missing nut or bolt, that the holes attatching the seat to the bracket have cracked and let the seat seperate.

You can unbolt the seat from the frame (If you have gearwrenches this may be easier, a socket won't fit.) and have the busted bits rewelded. In my experience, if you can find some scrap iron for reinforcements and some nice big washers for the bolt holes, you can get a really sweet deal on welding if you pay cash and prepare everything beforehand. What I had to do, was strip the seat, measure and cut all my reinforcements (Hacksaw and a file will work for this, if you have the patience), then reinstall the whole thing. I drove down to a local autobody shop and talked to the guys there. Once they agreed to do it, I went out to the parking lot and disassembled the whole thing again.

*Zap, zap, burn* and it was done. $30 bucks later I was in the parking lot putting my seat back together.

Since you have the older style seats, the disassembly is a more complicated process, the newer ones come in two pieces (Seat and backrest) but I have done the same thing on both styles. If you would rather have someone else disassemble the seat, prepare yourself for a much bigger bill, without a cash discount possibility.

It sucks, I know, but if you can find someone to weld it up, awesome. Otherwise, just make sure your bracket is in good condition and buy aftermarket seats. Used seats are almost always in bad shape, and putting the passenger seat on your side doesn't really solve the problem long term.

Good luck man. I'll check back later to see if you have other questions.

Waterhammer said:
people give those seats away, you should be able to find something.

But if you do get pitched out the window, can you get a vid. of it? That sounds like it would be amusing to watch...

I'll keep a camera handy, 'k?? :moon: Would love to get this thing fixed before that happens, though.....

Jesterbomb - I tore into the passenger seat once upon a time, trying to figure out why the power motor over there wasn't working. I couldn't repair that issue, but found out that the seat mounts on each side are different from each other. Too bad, I would be able to swap the seats out and get away from this for cheap/easy.

Hopefully tonight/this weekend I'll be able to find enough time to tear into this, and see if it's weld-able. Maybe some JB Weld will hold it together for a while longer, until I can get to Dad's and use the ancient Lincoln out there.....

Back