• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying XJ... What to look for?

GlennH

NAXJA Forum User
I think I Finally found my first Jeep...

1998 JEEP CHEROKEE Sport, 4 door, 4.0L, auto, air, cruise, tilt, aftermarket headunit stereo(deck), 178,000 kms, safetied.. Green Exterior Color, Grey interior color.

This looks to have the Chrys 8.25 rear end. It's leaking a bit. The asking price is $5900 cdn so roughly $5500 USD.
PIC:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/GlennH/Misc/jeep.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v169/GlennH/Misc/?action=view&current=jeep.jpg

It says it passed canadian safety regulations but I have a feeling the dealer itself did the work and Im going to have another mechanic take a look over it. I want to know whats important to check that can be checked....and what are things to look for.

Thanks,
GlennH

Rear axle pray its not a dana 35. Upcountry suspension package always a plus. Tow package with tranny cooler and 3.73 gears.

RUST.....and damage...............at least thats what i look for

Bring a flashlight when you go under it.........even if its during the day.......trust me

Ask if it has ABS cuz it'll have a Dana 35 if it does.

D35s suck ballz! Plus theres no was i would pay that much for a stocker unless it had like 2 miles on it and my mom was lookin for a nice ride. I bought a 2000 stocker with 61,000 miles on it for 3,500USD

lowrange2 said:
D35s suck ballz! Plus theres no was i would pay that much for a stocker unless it had like 2 miles on it and my mom was lookin for a nice ride. I bought a 2000 stocker with 61,000 miles on it for 3,500USD

XJs seem to be a little more expensive up here from what i seen.

But for that price it better be rust free

lowrange2 said:
D35s suck ballz!

Yeah, if you're running tyres larger than 31". For everyday use and mild modification and wheeling, the D35 is fine. As for price, they seem to fluctuate regionally. XJs still make reasonably good money on the secondhand market here; $5500 for a '98 sounds a touch high, but nothing some negotiating couldn't make more reasonable.

IF you intend to modify it much.....you would be better off to find one where a fair amount of the intended mods are already done...that as, invariably, you will get much more for your money...

Rusted floor pans and rockers, cracked exhaust manifolds at collector, bent front axle, Inspect door openengs for cracks in the body, and rust around the windshield.
If your buying it from a dealer make sure it hasn't been wrecked, most cars on a used car lot come from a auction and have been crashed or rolled or both.

Well, it's a 98 and you live in some part of Canada(no offense).. You wont be seeing much rust problems at all unless it was a beach driven/coast vehicle or it's got leaks... My 99 only has a few rust spots, and it's little tiny specks in the trunk area after I ripped my carpet up, dont ask me why.. Just a couple little dots.
And some rust starting to form on the axles, so I repainted them.. (I also live on the coast)

But you might be able to get them to take some money off for a rusted cat/muffler, the 97's and 98's will start doing that. Take a look along the body, and look at the gaps between the tailgate/bumper, doors to rockers, hood to fenders and header.. Little things I guess.

Alademuerte said:
Well, it's a 98 and you live in some part of Canada(no offense).. You wont be seeing much rust problems at all unless it was a beach driven/coast vehicle or it's got leaks...
winnipeg has pretty long winters, lotsa salt on the roads..prime candidate for bad rust. Usually coast vehicles (from the west coast anyways) are in great shape because of the mild winters, little need to salt the roads since it rarely snows so no rust at all.

i paid 6800 for a 2000 with 86,000 on it its a limited and a private party deal. that was a good price for my area
so a 98 for 5500 aint bad.. it being at a dealer offer them 5500 canadian see what they say..

Back