• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler...did I get screwed?

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
I traded a guy a pre-97 fuel tank skid (good condition) for a used tranny cooler and I want to know if I got screwed in the deal. I did my search and found some nice larger tranny coolers with multiple vanes and long piping for cooling. The item I got was this rediculously small, inadequate looking tranny cooler with two separate lines of cooling vanes. The thing is about 18" long and 3" wide, about a quarter the size of some after market coolers I have seen online.

The cooler requires bumper removal to install. I want to know if this is a good enough cooler (supposed to be off a stock XJ) to trouble with, or if I should go with a larger after market cooler that will cost me more.

I wish I did not trade my fuel skid, but it is too late. What do you jeeple think? Did I screw up?

Even though I don't care for Ford stuff, get a cooler off of a 90's Ford Exploder. Just make sure you flush it good first. You can mount this right behind the grill without removing your bumper.

I dont remember removing the bumper when I installed my stock XJ tranny cooler.
The factory cooler is better than nothing. Its actually sized to the vehicle and the weight. Check out the weight rating on the aftermarket coolers you are looking at. I'll bet they are rated for much more weight than your XJ will ever haul or tow. Thats not to say its a bad idea to go as big as you can with the cooler, Im just saying that the factory cooler, while not as good as a bigger aftermarket cooler, is adequate for an XJ.

Back