• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep died the other night, then started up, now works fine

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I was driving my 94 XJ home the other night, traveling at about 35mph, shifted, then hit the gas and had nothing... engine died on me so I pulled over. My immediate assumption was alternator, since I have done one on just about every car I own, but all my electical stuff (stereo, lights, etc) were still on, and the Jeep cranked over again fine. Cranked it about 3-4 times, and it started, but i had to rev it to keep it going. About 10 seconds after it started I got a light burning smell for a minute or so, and then it ran fine. No check engine light came on.

The Jeep has 112k on it, oil pressure runs between 40 and 70psi at all times, voltage always at 12-14, and temp right at 210.

I did have a bit less than a 1/4 tank in the Jeep at the time, I'm wondering if some tank crud got sucked into the fuel line and caused it to starve till the pressure blew it through.

Any idea what may have caused it?

Thanks in advance.

it should not be the fuel tank or pump, if it sucked up crap, it would of not worked properly later.

as for the smell the wire probly burnt off . not saying that for sure though.

jeepdude10000 said:
it should not be the fuel tank or pump, if it sucked up crap, it would of not worked properly later.

as for the smell the wire probly burnt off . not saying that for sure though.

What wire burnt off?

Could it have been catalytic crud?

u said burnig smell, figured it was in cab. see what happens when u give little info - someone assume's

jeepdude10000 said:
u said burnig smell, figured it was in cab. see what happens when u give little info - someone assume's

there is more than one wire in the cab as well. I do apologize for not being descriptive enough. It was not in cab, it was under-hood/outside.

Rocketman said:
Flaky CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor)

After searching on this topic, it sounds like this is my gremlin

Thanks for the help.

Back