• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown Up Ford 8.8 and ARB

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
So my Ford 8.8 rear end is toast. About 8 months ago I was wheeling and the ring gear bolts backed out. I caught it before it really did any damage and replaced them with new bolts and some red locktite. I didnt think anything of it until last week when I took off from a stop light and heard a bang like an axle shaft breaking and lots of crunchy noises. All of the ring gear bolts had backed out or where sheared off the ring gear. The ARB is DESTROYED. The ring gear bolt holes are all egged out and the flange for the ring gear is broken and cracked in several places. Also the cross shaft retaining pin was broken and there seems to be more play than normal in the spider gears. I have not gotten it fully pulled appart to see the full extent of the damage but from just opening the cover it was pretty bad.

Anybody had something like this happen to their 8.8? The ARB had started to leak down over time about a month before the first time the bolts backed out then after that it kept leaking down and the compressor would always run twice as much as it used to. I only had one offroad trip after the new bolts went back in and the compresor was running like it had before. Could the ARB have gone bad with the leak being the first sign of failure then the bolts did it in? I will get pics up tonight.

AARON

Ring gear bolts.

You should use Loc-Tite PRIMER before putting on red loc-tite. Torque them down. Then wait 24 hours before putting diff fluid in there to let the loc-tite set.

If you don't do it that way, the bolts can back out. Not saying it happens to everyone, just letting you know the RIGHT way to do it.

Did you file the ring gear first?Did you deburr the carrier?Are you sure the ring gear was fully seated?Did you check the run-out on the gears?Who's gears?

The gear set is a Value Gear set that I got for $130 with a master install kit which was $70 from a local shop. I did the install myself right around 6 years ago. At the time of the install, I dont recall there being any burrs or anything wrong with the install. I mean this axle, gears, and locker has survived 6 years of 2 built 4.0L motors, 2 built stroker motors, lots of offroad trips, as well as heavy drag racing during this entire time with it first rolling on 32s, then 33s, then the last 2 years being on 35s with the stroker motors. I really cant complain, its served me well. I figured that something could be learned so it doesnt happen to somebody else or me again :) I have decided to give up on this axle and go with a narrowed 9" to match the narrowed front HP Dana 44 I have and ditch the wheel spacer/adapters in the rear. The hope is that I wont ever have to worry about the 9" with the stroker and my future tire size of 37s :D Now to the pics...

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

AARON

Back