• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax No-Slip engagement issues

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
So i would say about 1/2 the time i try a rock face or something of that nature, my powertrax does not engage and i might as well be open open until i back up and try again and then it engages. My buddy has the exact same locker and never runs into this issue. Both of us have it in the rear axle. It's in a D44 in mine if that matters.

What should i be looking for being the culprit in this thing if i end up pullin the cover and taking a look? Anyone have any words of wisdom/experience? It's done this since it was installed i think, nothings broken.

Is it clanging when trying to engage? Mine did it when it was re-installed incorrectly and sheared the active spacers. Worn springs didn't help either. There should not be any space in the "teeth" on both sides. Still not 100% certain what we did to fix it but it works now. Other than new spacers and springs.

I have a no-slip in my D44 and have had no issues, but I change the springs anually just for good practice. If you have done alot of hard wheeling and put that thing through its paces on a regular basis it would be a good idea to put new springs in. $10 well spent, it makes it work like new and while your at it should probably order 2 or 3 extra spring sets because it costs almost as much to ship as it does for the springs. Should solve your problems.

did you install the thrust washers that came off of your stock spider gears?

i had a similar problem, until i reinstalled the thrust washers.

Which rear are we talking about here? 8.25 29sp? I just got a no-slip put in 2 weeks ago and it makes all kinds of loud noises when I'm turning. Pops and clanks like no other. Its done it a little less as it breaks in, but I'm really wondering because I thought these things were supposed to be quiet. My mechanic said the instructions were a little off, but I don't know what he did differently. I remember hearing something about using or not using the thrust washers, but I can't find it.

I think I'm eventually going to pull the cover and check it out, but other than broken teeth, I'm not sure what I'm looking for either.

(yes, I know this thread is old, but I've searched before and I didn't resurrect it anyways)

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=947446

that and make sure the syncros are perfect before you put everything together. mine unloaded harshly once when i was backing out of my driveway and turning the first 25 feet it had driven, but since march (when i installed it) it's been absolutely fine. there have been a few, mostly due to the fact that i have a 5spd, it's my daily driver and if i get lazy with driving style it will let me know i'm being lazy, or that my diff fluid is going bad... i'd make sure the syncros are aligned correctly if it's doing it a lot.

Thanks for that link, I'll really have to look into that. I wish I was there when he installed the locker, but I had to work, so I don't know how it went in. It seems the gears on mine slip way more than they are supposed to. When I take tight turns under power, even at slow speeds, I get lots of loud clicking instead of the tires chirping or slipping. It's like the gears aren't tightly together and are slipping as I turn. I'm hoping I won't find all kinds of metal shards when I pull the cover.

Back