• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Fluid

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've owned my current heap for about 6 months. It has approx. 105k miles on the clock. '91 with the 4.0 and AW4.

So I just got around to changing out some of my tranny fluid. Just a drain and fill. Pretty easy job. When I drained the fluid I got about 3.5 quarts out. Let me tell you, it sure didn't look like ATF in there. More like lighly creamed coffee with lots of sludge.

My tranny has not really been acting up that much. A hard down shift here and there.

My question is: Would the state of the fluid cause any major issues? I do plan on running some Seafoam Trans-tune in it later when I drain the fluid and pull the pan.

Or maybe it might be better to just keep on doing a drain and fill 4 or 5 times with some cheap ATF. Then run the trans-tune and pull the pan/replace screen.

Any thoughts are always welcome. Thanks

I would drain and fill several times until it is clean upon drain, or you can change it all at once if you pull the tranny cooler line and pump out the old a little bit at a time while filling with new---just continue until clean.

Jess said:
I would drain and fill several times until it is clean upon drain, or you can change it all at once if you pull the tranny cooler line and pump out the old a little bit at a time while filling with new---just continue until clean.

that will work up to a point, but heating and cooling cycles, along with actually driving will really work the junk loose and give you better results, as long as you ensure you get the fluid all throughout the system

avnsteve said:
that will work up to a point, but heating and cooling cycles, along with actually driving will really work the junk loose and give you better results, as long as you ensure you get the fluid all throughout the system

Ya, I was gonna run it aboot 200-300 miles in between drain and fills. That should do it, eh?

Back