• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to change rear shoes

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
ive looked and no bueno does anyone kno of a write up on it.... and is it difficult?! thanks!

Pick up a hanes manual And it really is not very difficult, the only bitch is re-assembling the brakes, make sure you study it as you take it apart, even take pictures so you know how it all goes back together, and helps a lot to have a friend so you have one more set of hands to hold things as you get all the parts lined up and springs attached.

pick up a haynes. rear drums are quite easy once you get the hang of it. it also helps to do one side at a time. just incase you forget where things go you can use the other side as refference.

have fun

rag said:
pick up a haynes. rear drums are quite easy once you get the hang of it. it also helps to do one side at a time. just incase you forget where things go you can use the other side as refference.

have fun

rag said it all, get both sides up on jackstands and do one side at a time. Use the other side as reference. Make sure to lubricate the adjusters and spray off any grease on the drums and shoes. It'll probably take 1 1/2 hours for the first side and 15 minutes for the second.

Friction area on the shoes are different sizes, too. The shoe with less friction area goes toward the front of the car, more goes toward the rear of the car.

hmmm ok thanks ill give that a shot:D!

anytime I'm doing a "new to me" type of drum brake job, I will take two shoes and mirror the assembly off to the side. As I remove the springs and assorted torture devices I will place them into the new shoes in their respective locations. Once everything is off and you're cleaned up and ready for installation, move everything to the old shoes and begin transferring back to the vehicle with the new shoes.

run the adjusters in all the way and use a high temp silicone grease on 'em

small shoe to the front/big shoe to the back

inspect wheel cyl carefully for leakage as brake fluid will ruin new shoes

springs weaken with heat cycles so replace anything you can (dirt cheap)

nothin' to it once you get over the fear of boogering it up!

--Shorty

Back