• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ - Headlights out

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
There's no headlight fuse, right?

My parking lights + fog lights work. Also the "flash to pass" still works, engaging the brights.

However both lowbeams are not coming on, all of a sudden......even with "flash to pass". Before if you pulled back slightly on the brights lever, it would activate both the highbeams and lowbeams. Not anymore.

Anybody think it could be the headlight switch? I was having a few issues before like the headlights wouldnt engauge if you pulled the knob out too far.....but I cleaned that up and that fixed that problem. Now the headlights won't come on at all, no matter how far I pull the knob out. Even if I slowly slide it out they don't even flicker.

What else could it be if it's not the headlight switch? They were working earlier tonight but then I parked, came back out, and they wouldn't turn on. Luckily I have my 55 watt Hella fog lights, otherwise I'd have no front white light unless I held the brights lever back a tad!

Can this be moved to OEM Tech Discussion? That'd be my bad!

I should add, even with the headlight switch pulled all of the way out, I cann't get the brights to stay on by clicking the brights lever all of the way back. Sort of just like it doesn't believe the headlights are on. I'm leaning towards the headlight switch. I just tried to clean it again by spraying some cleaner onto the shaft and sliding the switch back in and out quickly, but that didn't help. Any other suggestions? Otherwise I'll just remove the top dash panel and have a look at the actual switch unit.

Back