• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the best electric locker?

BigBlueXj

NAXJA Forum User
Ive searched the old posts, im looking for personal accounts with these electric lockers, im leaning towards the eaton, but want feed back from anyone using an electric locker. My rear finally poped on my 2000 with 33's. It had over 40k on the rear between the jumping, wheeling, and smoke shows i cant believe it lasted as long as it did. I have a 44 out of a comanche im going to convert. Ive had the rear sitting in my garage for over a year just waiting for the inevitable d35 failure....

All of the electric options have issues of some sort; but if I had to pick one, it would be the Ected.

If its going in the back, I would also say Auburn Ected. My only problem with the locker is I had it in the front, and the locker's limited slip is basically always engaged, there is no preload to it. For the rear, you wont even notice it, but in the front it is harder to turn the wheel, and it does pull slightly.

etaniyani said:
If its going in the back, I would also say Auburn Ected. My only problem with the locker is I had it in the front, and the locker's limited slip is basically always engaged, there is no preload to it. For the rear, you wont even notice it, but in the front it is harder to turn the wheel, and it does pull slightly.

If it's an electric locker shouldnt it be totally disengaged in the front until you flip the switch?

Well, the Auburn Ected isn't a full locker either way. It's normally a limited slip, and when you flip the switch it becomes a very agressive limited slip. While this can greatly help, it never truly locks.

FZJ 80 factory Electric Locked axles stock. Hey what do you know I have a set here for sale too. Only problem is the diff is passenger side drop.

I Have an E-locker. I love the trail manuveribility that I have with it disengaged. The only problems I have with them are that the tabs to keep the coil from rotating (it just floats on the shaft) are too small and flimsy. The balls apparently bound up and the coil pack decided to spin with the axles. Got halfway around and sucked the wires into the diff.

Paperwork it comes with says not to use over 20 mph or so. I don't know about you but that's not the way I roll in mud (2nd gear 4k RPM steady).

I dont have anything good to report about the warranty. There has been no reply yet from Eaton on my unit twisiting up. It has been 7 weeks. Meanwhile I am stuck waiting for an $800 credit on the unit I got to replace it.

I honestly didn't want to put another one back in, but I didn't have much choice in the matter. I'm hoping it was a one time glitch and that there won't be any further problems.

i did some research on the auburn, when locked all it does is lock the clucth pack togeather extra tight, thats not what im lookin for since i plan on 35's in the future when i hit lotto. I love the Ox but they are $$$$. i appreciate all the responses it's a big help when it comes to making the decision. This is my first axle build. Ive considered a spool but i drive to vermont all winter. Ice is no fun at 80 with a spool

Back