• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another trans question....

play_in_the_mud

NAXJA Forum User
So the AX15 in the XJ (1995) is on its way out, after 210k, kinda thought it was its turn, already rebuilt the engine and most everything else. Havent done too much searching on haveing it rebuilt, the only place I called told me they'd have to get it apart but no more than $1300, NO WAY!! Can prolly find a used one with decent low mileage for much less than that. But my question is, what about putting in one of the newer 5 speeds they used in the newer XJ (NV550) or even a 6 speed from a newer wrangler? Has anyone put one of those in an XJ? How much if a PITA is it? Thanks for any help

I'm interested in the 6spd swap too, but it seems like nobody's done it yet. I have heard that the NSG370 (6spd) will not hold up to as much torque as the NV3550.

i've looked into the NV3550, and apparently it's "nearly" a bolt in. i haven't figured out what the "nearly" part is yet though. i'm guessing possibly something simple/small like the crank position sensor location or different clutch setup. but i can't see it being anything major. according to the jeep wrangler builders guide, they have the same input/output shaft specs, and the NV3550 is a good swap candidate for failing AX15's.

as far as the NSG270 6speed in the wranglers, i seem to get alot of mixed emotions. my wifes 97TJ is wearing down it's AX15, and i've been playing with the idea of going to a 6speed when it fails due to a nice 1st and 6th gear in the 6speed manual. other than that i don't have any info research on the 6speed yet.

i do know that the NV3550 will hold up to V8 power, so that is one thing to consider when thinking about which tranny to use.

As soon as I find one (NSG370), I'm going to put it in.....It's basically the same length give or take an inch or so, but the shifter is in the same place, input shaft is the same diameter, it's all basically the same....

oops. i just saw i made a typo. that's NSG370 not NSG270.

so are you saying that you're going to put it in and let us know what's involved, or you think it'll just bolt up with no mods or changing stuff???

honestly i think that if you grab everything from the clutch on back, i can't see it being to much of a problem, but i don't know for sure. but i did just remember that i'm going to be working on an 05 wrangler with the 6speed on wednesday, and i'll have my wifes wrangler with the AX15 right there too. so i'll be able to compare everything as far as the externals go.

You can buy rebuilt AX15's for about $650. Check eBay for vendors. A bearings/brass rebuild kit is about $200. It's not too hard to rebuild, although I recommend having a bearing press handy as it makes it go much easier. Also, make sure you use a quality non-sulfur synthetic gear oil. Cheap GL5 gear oil has sulfurs which eat away the synchros and generally shifts like crap when cold. If you have GL5 in there, try putting in some good stuff first. I highly recommend RedLine MTL or MTL90.

lawsoncl said:
You can buy rebuilt AX15's for about $650. Check eBay for vendors. A bearings/brass rebuild kit is about $200. It's not too hard to rebuild, although I recommend having a bearing press handy as it makes it go much easier. Also, make sure you use a quality non-sulfur synthetic gear oil. Cheap GL5 gear oil has sulfurs which eat away the synchros and generally shifts like crap when cold. If you have GL5 in there, try putting in some good stuff first. I highly recommend RedLine MTL or MTL90.

I changed the fluid roughly a year ago, called the dealership to make sure what fluid was recommened they said their was a bulletin to use 10w30 motor oil for smoother shifitng, been running that ever since, it shifts great. With the exception of the occasional clunks im gettin out of it. I'm thinking I may end up with another AX15 or the nv3550 I want to do the LEAST amount of modification possible, and it seems the 6 speed might be past my expecations. Thanks for all the input so far, but still have yet to find someone that put a different trans in the XJ.

Back