• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 xj cyl # 5 misfire

FUZZ26

NAXJA Forum User
does any one have any ideas i just read this code today?
i was thinking cps but wanted some additional thoughts before tearing in to it.,
thank you
2001 xj 108000k

What code? By the thread title I assume a PO305, for cylinder 5 misfire. Does it run rough? I'd look at your spark plugs first especially if they have never been replaced. A bad CPS will not set misfire codes.
HTH

p0305 was the code the idle is very rough.
although when starting cold it runs normal and once warm it starts surging and running real rough from idle up to about 2500 rpms i feel a surge followed by what sounds like backfiring from the pre-catalytics off my exhaust manifold.
thanks for all the help!

Interesting, my 2001xj (102,000) is getting a P0306 misfire at idle. Mine also runs strong when cold and starts surging when warm, sometimes cutting out and feels like a rev limiter is being activated. I have moved the number 6 plug and today replaced injector number 6 (no joy). The intake bolts are tight and vacuum is good. I'm somewhat at a loss at this point, please let me know if you run across a solution in this thread.

Thanks,
Dave

I am having a simular issue with my 99 xj 2.5L. the check engine light keeps lighting up with a misfire on cyl # 2. I have replaced the bosch plugs with Champions, put new wires - roter cap and button, and replaced the injector but it still tells me there is a misfire on #2.

Did you figure yours out Retro-d ?

Back