• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering column replacement

philjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my tilt steering column from my 87 and i need to know what years are the steering columns interchageable because i found a column from a 94 and was going to get it but i was unsure if it would fit.
thanks

get one from a pre-1993 cherokee and it should be good. best yet is to look for one from the same general year...85 to 91 would be best.

when swapping out your column, it is best to disconnect the steering shaft at the steering box than the firewall...the firewall side doesn't have any difference in splines, BUT the steering box side does.

so that, plus the 2 firewall bolts, and the two holding it to the dash, and then the 2 or 3 connections andit will come out.

when i swapped a steering column out of an 88 into my 91 i only noticed one big difference and that was the shaft the 88 was 1 1\2" shorter than the 91

no, a column from a 94 would not work.

the earlier ones have the electronics connections on the shaft to the firewall, whereas the 94 changed over to them being mounted to the kneeboard. which wouldn't be a big deal except that they ARE NOT THE SAME connectors.

Why are you bothering to change your steering column? If the steering wheel is able to wobble around, it is easy to fix the tilt part of the column so it doesn't. Just do a google search on GM Saginaw tilt steering columns. I did a write up at the amc eaglenest forums.

we were tightening those bolts and we noticed that behind them the metal was like peeled up and even if we tightened the bolts it would still woble around so we are replacing it now

Back