• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj cooling problem

kylepalmieri

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep temperature rises to around one mark past 210 (im guessing around 225ish) the temp stays at this mark all the time while driving and the electric fan stays on the whole time until i turn the jeep off. I dont believe the jeep should be running this hot. Anybody know what i should try?:confused:

Thanks

Does your temperature just keep rising up when you start the vehicle and level off at the white mark (which is 235, way too hot for comfort)? Put another way, when you start the vehicle when it is cold does it continuously go up all the way to 235 then stop, or does it slow down once it reaches 200 and then gradually increase?

If your thermostat is damaged, it may stick shut and not open until a much higher temperature than it should, so even if the rest of your cooling system is in top shape, it will still run hot. Does your temperature stay at 235 on both the highway and the city/idling?

Tell us as much as you can about the symptoms, if it ever cools down when driving, if it runs hot with or without a/c or both, etc. Do a search for this, there are THOUSANDS of posts regarding this problem. Hoses, fans, fan clutch, radiator, water pump, tstat, head gaskets, a/c condensers, belts, the list goes on can all contribute to this problem, but by giving us every bit of information you can about your specific problem will really help narrow it down. Like I said before, if your system always stays at 235 once it warms up it seems like a bad tstat.

Try to verify that temperature with an IR thermometer once just to make sure your gauge is right. Then, what he said.

yeah it gets up to around 235 then stays there regardless of idling or highway driving. i just changed my thermostat with another 195 degree and im giving the rtv a chance to dry right now ill also verify the temp with the thermometer

Yeah, if your temp does just stay locked there no matter what that's almost a sure fire bet the tstat is the problem. Hope that fixes it for you, post back and let us know.

Hopefully your problem is just a simple tstat... it is no fun chasing around possibility after possibility and dumping endless money to try and fix an XJ cooling problem.

BTW, when I test the gauge, I just hit the tstat housing right below where the upper hose attaches with an ir thermometer, and it is always within 3-4 degrees of the gauge, so hopefully that will help for a reference.

i road tested it and it stays at or under 210 now which i think is normal. the fan kicks on for a few seconds when i start it hot then kicks back off like it should i verified the temp in the ballpark of 205-210 so i think the problem's fixed for now. i guess i just need to drive it longer to see what it does,

thanks

Glad to know that helped. I had a tstat once that wouldn't open until 230 or so, and then when it did the temp came flying back down to like 180 in a few seconds, then up again to 230 slowly... it was ridiculous, but a classic sign of a bad tstat. They can go bad without much warning, and one good 225-230 degree blast can damage even a good one, so it's good to have a couple spare on hand.

Back