• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

outta town need help!headlamps gone

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
1989 xj,4.0, Replaced a factory foglamp bulb and it must have shorted it burned the fog wire to a crisp and then I had no headlamps,foglamps,tailights,brakelights,dash lights or parklights??what did I cook? everything else works including the dome lights,turn signals and radio. Switch? any help is appreciated,a ways outta town without any resources.thanks!!

where is the fuse?All the fuses inside the truck are good as well as the four relays on the passenger inner fender and the two on the drivers side

Anyone have a clever way to get brake lamps working? like jumping power from somewhere to somewhere? I just need to drive back home,I can live without the headlamps,just drive during the day. Cant find any fuse,relay,fusible link that is blown. There has to be a main fuse or something hidden somewhere, (don't but a chilton manual and plan to have electrical problems,they suck)

just confimed no power to fuseblock at: gauge, instument lamps,taillights, fl/pass, headlamp dps, only to turn signals

a little more probing I determined that there is ground on both power and ground sides of front markers and headlamps. short to ground somewhere hidden I suppose,all fusible links check out fine,what the hell is the electrical box mounted beside the battery with the fusible links coming out? took power of an open fuse and jumped it to the good side of the brake lamp fuse, I can at least drive without getting rearended,long drive ahead :repair:

bcmaxx said:
,what the hell is the electrical box mounted beside the battery with the fusible links coming out? :repair:

anybody?

bcmaxx said:
sounds like the renix starter relay, is it a small metal box, with a post that all the fusible links are attached to?
if so, that's the starter relay.

You say that you checked the fusible links, how did you check them?
I had one escape me for 2 days.
Don't rely on a meter, try to pull them apart. If it pulls apart any, then it's toasty.

I'm suspect of the relay, It seems to supply power to more than a few things, I found and elimintated the short to ground, two lh fog wires fused together,possible for that thing to short internally?? might explain why every wire to the headlamps,markers,tailights and underhood lamp have ground to both the positive and negative side. this sucks!!!!could be wheelin on my week off instead of trying to fix my jeep:flamemad:

what is the proper way to test the fusible link?

Back