• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header bolt

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I just tightened my header bolts and one is stripped. Can I put in a longer bolt and maybe hit some threads in the back ? Or are we talking helicoil ?
Thanks !

Helicoil will be stronger than the original thread. After you get the helicoil in place then put in a stud and it will last as long as you will.

Look at the stripped bolt. Are the threads on it wiped? If they are, try using a brand new bolt 1/4" longer(use a small screwdriver as a probe. check the hole depth before cranking it in). Some times, a new bolt will grab the remains of the threads in the hole and hold(try not to over-torque it)

If the old bolt pulled the threads out with it, you're probably in H-coil territory.

Are you talking about the screws that hold the exhaust flange to the head, or the studs down on the collector?

The OEM exhaust screws should be 3/8"-16 x 1-1/4", so you can try a 1-1/2" screw and see if it holds (no guarantees - I don't know how deep those holes are offhand.) However, you'd be better off using some sort of screw thread insert - like a Keensert, HeliCoil, ReCoil, or similar. This will require removal of the header - but it's also the best fix.

If it's one of the collector studs that has stripped, you can probably knock it right out and replace it using a 3/8-16 screw of the appropriate length - you'd have to measure, since I don't know that offhand, either. You will need to use a wrench on both sides of the thing when you install/remove that bolt and nut, tho...

5-90 said:
Are you talking about the screws that hold the exhaust flange to the head, or the studs down on the collector?

The OEM exhaust screws should be 3/8"-16 x 1-1/4", so you can try a 1-1/2" screw and see if it holds (no guarantees - I don't know how deep those holes are offhand.) However, you'd be better off using some sort of screw thread insert - like a Keensert, HeliCoil, ReCoil, or similar. This will require removal of the header - but it's also the best fix.

If it's one of the collector studs that has stripped, you can probably knock it right out and replace it using a 3/8-16 screw of the appropriate length - you'd have to measure, since I don't know that offhand, either. You will need to use a wrench on both sides of the thing when you install/remove that bolt and nut, tho...

The bolt that screws into the head itself. I got lazy after replacing one header last year just to have it crack
a month later (used). So I paid to have a brand new one put on. I'm assuming he probably started it with an
air tool and cross threaded it. I only noticed it because I have a small exhaust leak there now and tried tightening it.
I really don't want to pull the header again. That job sucks. I'll try the longer bolt first.

Back