• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Same Gas Tank Skid? 97-01 XJ & 93-98 ZJ

DBenz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

In my search for an OEM gas tank skid for my 97 XJ, I've come across a couple after market ones that advertise that they are for a 97-01 XJ, but also for a 93-98 ZJ. Would this mean that they have the exact same gas tank? And that maybe they would have the same OEM gas tank skid as well? Please enlighten me...

Derek

no they just have a coulpe different mounting holes....can be used on an xj by drilling some extra holes

x2, been there, tried that, need to get the drill out.

i looked today and will keep my eye open...maybe pm Tim_MN he might have one

i did see one on ebay

Just noticed it today as well, I've been watching. A buddy of mine in town got his OEM 97-01 XJ skid on ebay, but I'll most likely settle for the ZJ skid.

check car-parts.com and locate the salvage yard around you that has one. Darn I have a 98' XJ that needs a skid and I'm selling my 96' ZJ today after work, the people are getting the $ from the bank. I wonder if I can delay them enough to get the skid off my ZJ. They don't care about wheeling it anyways. :laugh3:

If you are having a real hard time finding a skid, just get an aftermarket one, it will be stronger and will be shipped to you ready to bolt on, might be worth it if you don't have the time to be scrounging around under some XJs at a bone yard.

Troy

I ended up buying a ZJ skid form a guy here on the board. Should have it on this week so I can go play at the tuttle creek orv park on saturday.

Big Red, take it off, doubt they will notice.

Got it off and they didn't notice. :laugh3:
This Jeep is for their 18 year old son, his 1st vehicle and what a vehicle it is...a 96' Grand Cherokee Limited fully loaded with every option, I wish I was so lucky when I was his age.

I was going to pull the V8 steering, but they came over 1st on Sunday, gave me a deposit and went to the bank Monday and were waiting on my call for them to come over to settle the difference and get the Jeep. I guess I'll just go to pick n pull and get the steering off another XJ on 1/2 price day and keep that under my bench seat hopefully or somewhere snug if I need it. This is just my daily driver and I don't plan to wheel it on anything close to hardcore, that's what my 91' on HP44/9" 37" MTRs, etc etc is for.

The ZJ skid plate sure came off easy, just 4 nuts and 2 bolts. Thank for the info on it working on a XJ just needing to drill a few holes.

I am hopefully buying the ZJ skid for my 98XJ. I have a Hitch, and nut strips sitting here waiting for install.
My question is, do any of the holes on the ZJ skid line up with the XJ mounting holes? So I can use the nut strips for locating the new holes to be cut?

Thanks

yea at least one on one side does line up and im thinking two on the other do

Back