• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP D44/TnT LA's...issues.

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How many people are running a HP D44 front axle with TnT Long Arms? I'm having some issues making mine work. I just shortened my trackbar to get the axle centered and try to make the passenger side LA not hit the frame rail (whatever, unibody, uniframe, blah, blah). Apparently, I went a little too far, 'cause I've just blown up my second yoke and u-joint.

Under moderate compression (nowhere near full), right at the y-link, the bolt that attaches the LCA to the UCA hit the driveshaft. It also touches the bracket on top of the arm where the UCA mounts. I've already flipped the bolt around so the head faces in and ground down both the bracket and bolt as much as I dare.

Anybody else experience this problem and have any suggestions? I'm getting pretty exhausted by the TnT's. A set of Claytons could be in my future....

-----Matt-----

My last limp-home trail fix...you can see in the picture all the damage on both the DS and, obviously, the yoke.

DSCN9850.jpg

BTW, I'm an SAE Certified Zip-Tie Tech. If you'd like to learn how to become one yourself, send me $49.99 to my Paypal for the full info packet....

Last edited:
I have a similar problembut I have a Dana44 from a Rubicon and the yoke hits the bolt head where the upper arm bolts to the lower. I just ground down the bolt head to help with clearance issues. It doesnt rub enough so far to be of a real concern for me unlike your situation.

ok well whats your e-mail addy lol ..............very nice looks like we would get along great on the trails lol:yelclap:

Da_shit_83 said:
ok well whats your e-mail addy lol ..............very nice looks like we would get along great on the trails lol:yelclap:
Luckily, I was able to put in a spare joint the second time, because, as good as I am, I just don't think the zip-ties would have held up with the hubs engaged. :)

-----Matt-----

Winks00XJ said:
I have a similar problembut I have a Dana44 from a Rubicon and the yoke hits the bolt head where the upper arm bolts to the lower. I just ground down the bolt head to help with clearance issues. It doesnt rub enough so far to be of a real concern for me unlike your situation.

We did grind down the head of the bolt. It was actually hitting on the bracket that the bolt goes through also. We ground some off of that, but it still hit on compression.

Isn't the D44 Rubicon a LP axle?

It looks like the bracket would have to be modified and moved over to make that right. Either that, or move the axle over with the track bar and live with the off-center axle.

You could also try using the BLACK zip ties. They're stronger

Do you have more pics of the axle brackets you could post up so we can see the whole set up? Are the brackets in the stock locations? I run a TNT kit with a HP 9" front end and do not have any clearance issues. I raised the lower mounts up flush with the axle tube and pushed them out slightly (about 1/2" per side if I recall). The upper brackets are 1" or so taller as well to maintain the right vertical separation between the lowers and uppers.

Back