• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Firestik Door Jamb Mount

almondjoy137

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I just got my new CB antenna door jamb mount in the mail with the cord that goes into the back but I was wondering if you guys who have got one or have a clue (unlike me) could help me out. I've got everything figured out except the end that plugs into the back of the CB came separately from the cord and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it on with the materials they supply you with, shown below...

cbpaint.jpg

can it be done with whats there and i'm just really dumb or is there something im missing?

i would solder the cable ends to the silver fitting , the middle wire goes to the middle of the fitting and the and the out side wire goes to the outside of the fitting , but make sure u got the cable through any holes b fore u solder and that cone thing goes on the cable and then to the fitting it acts like a weather seal, im sorry i suck at explaining this bit if u get the cable routed and need the fitting put on properly just go to a tv repair shop er somthin like that and they will make better sense of what i am trying to say , they will prolly do it for like 10 bucks hope this helps dude

solder that skinny wire to the skinny part of the plug, the loose wire frays to the inside of the cord thats big at the other end. And make sure you get those plastic notches in the mount the right way, otherwise you get the whole thing reversed like i did lol.

They actually expect you to solder the connector on??????? Its kinda a pain in the ass if you don't know how to do it.

I've done tons of them, and I still don't like trying to solder cheap connectors on. I would recommend finding a CB shop to do it. If you don't do it correctly you can ruin the connector, the coax, or if you are running illegal amounts of power your radio.

well thats the thing I planned on doing that all along and I went to the truck shop near me to buy an antenna and get them to tune it and I asked them if they knew anything about coax cables and it was 2 like 80 year old guys that shook their heads before I even finished my sentence..

I guess ill keep looking around for more places to get it done cuz Ive only soldered a few times and I wouldnt wanna risk messing anything up

w_howey said:
They actually expect you to solder the connector on??????? Its kinda a pain in the ass if you don't know how to do it.
IMO, it'd be a bigger pain in the butt to fish that LARGE connector throughout the cab to route it. plus if you're drilling holes and having to seal them up, it's gonna be a ton more work than if you just have the small hole that's just large enough to fit the wire through.

it's really not all that much work. the connector fits really snugly on the wire (as well as the rubber cone/weather seal) all i did was just put a small dab of solder on the tip end where the wire will come though the connector. just enough to hold it in and make a good connection.

FitchVA said:
IMO, it'd be a bigger pain in the butt to fish that LARGE connector throughout the cab to route it. plus if you're drilling holes and having to seal them up, it's gonna be a ton more work than if you just have the small hole that's just large enough to fit the wire through.

it's really not all that much work. the connector fits really snugly on the wire (as well as the rubber cone/weather seal) all i did was just put a small dab of solder on the tip end where the wire will come though the connector. just enough to hold it in and make a good connection.

x2

Putting the end on coax isn't that hard. If you aren't comfortable doing the job, visit the local Vo-Tech or Community College and see if someone in the electronics program can help you.

Firestik has a good description of the steps on their webpage. Firestik - coax connectors . Use a 20 watt soldering pencil, not a soldering gun, rosin core electronics solder (not plumbing solder) and remove the heat a few seconds after the solder begins to flow.

Step 3 is important, I have been installing coax connectors for many years and still forget once and a while.

Last edited:
FitchVA said:

I really meant more of, its a piece of crap connector that is chrome plated. They are definately substandard, and less that desirable. Now add to that, that the user probably doesn't have real good quality solder, most likely the garbage that Radio Shack sells as 'rosin core' rather than real silver solder. Not to mention a low buck soldering iron.

Cheap shit connector + cheap shit solder + cheap shit tools = miserable job.

Attaching a PL-259 connector isn't a hard job, but use quality components and tools makes it MUCH, MUCH eaiser.

Back