• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Issue

aznightkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 XJ and all of a sudden my A/C stopped working. My first thought was the low pressure switch, I jumped the wires and the compressor still will not turn on. I checked for power to the switch and I have a good 12 volts. I swapped the relays around, and far as I know they are still good.

Another thing I am noticing is my electric fan does not turn on. I have no volts to the electric fan, or the wire that goes into the compressor. If I hotwire the compressor it turns on.

Any guidance would be extremely helpful!!!

Could possibly be a high or low press. switch/sensor failure, that can cause the system not to cycle and the electric fan turns on & off when the a/c clutch engages and disengages.

Yes it should, not sure exactly what temp it turns on but above 210
but if the a/c is on the fan will cycle with the a/c clutch even when starting up a cold engine with the a/c on

Blaine B. said:
Does the electric fan work if the engine temps get warm enough?

Even being in AZ my Jeep only got warm when I had the A/C on. So when normal driving the electric fan only came on when I had the A/C on. Where is the high pressure switch located? If this switch went bad, could this be my issue?

aznightkrawler said:
Even being in AZ my Jeep only got warm when I had the A/C on. So when normal driving the electric fan only came on when I had the A/C on. Where is the high pressure switch located? If this switch went bad, could this be my issue?

High pressure switch would not normally keep it from turning on, it is designed to turn it off on high pressure, so it is a normally closed switch until pressure gets too high. That said, I guess it is possible. Vould be a bad LP or HP switch, or a bad thermostat switch. The HP and LP switches are in the refrigerant piping lines. Just start at one end of the compressor and following the plumbing all the way back to the compressor and look for a electrical switch tied into the plumbing. Both switches should act like a low resistance ground across the 2 pins.

The other control(s) including a relay and low temperature switch/thermostat, is burried in the dash between the controls and the evaporator somewhere. Those devices moved and changed some between 87 and 96. Mine is an 87 so I can't tell you exactly where the 95s are.

Back