• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tune up for the turd

SLAYER

NAXJA Forum User
Quicky for all u master minds out there,
Do the 1997 XJ's use the same spark plug gap, wires and cap as the 91 thru 97/98?
I dont want any crazy perfomance stuff, just a desent tune up like from the factory.
Any recomendations?
Thanku XJ brethren.

95 and 99 are the same. .035 gap.

I've always had good luck with the premium grade of whatever NAPA and the like sell. Parts stores usually have two grades of regular performance stuff, and the better wire set is only a few bucks more, and a couple of bucks more for the cap with brass tits. If like me you do this job very infrequently, make sure you remember to put anti-seize on the cap screws. They can be a real pain to get off 5 years down the road.

Thanku very much. Good thing i replaced them wires, one had a split on the jacket. I did get the brass titty accel cap, Borg-warner nascar wires and shampion s plugs. Still runnin kinda rough, im gonna check some other stuff.

Matthew Currie said:
95 and 99 are the same. .035 gap.

I've always had good luck with the premium grade of whatever NAPA and the like sell. Parts stores usually have two grades of regular performance stuff, and the better wire set is only a few bucks more, and a couple of bucks more for the cap with brass tits. If like me you do this job very infrequently, make sure you remember to put anti-seize on the cap screws. They can be a real pain to get off 5 years down the road.

I found that one out the hard way after I bought my Jeep with 160K on it. I was seriously worried that I was stripping out the body (or spinning something inside) of the distributor.

Back