• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Shoe Question

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
It's getting to be about that time to replace the brake shoes on my '98 Limited (4.0l/AW4/242 w/ towing package and no ABS), is there anything I need to know about what to ask for or are these fairly universal for most of the XJ's produced that year? I'm planning on top of the line Raybestus (sp?) shoes with the currently installed OEM drums and cylinders. The truck is currently nearing 109,500 miles and I'll be buying them on my day off Monday.

bjoehandley said:
It's getting to be about that time to replace the brake shoes on my '98 Limited (4.0l/AW4/242 w/ towing package and no ABS), is there anything I need to know about what to ask for or are these fairly universal for most of the XJ's produced that year? I'm planning on top of the line Raybestus (sp?) shoes with the currently installed OEM drums and cylinders. The truck is currently nearing 109,500 miles and I'll be buying them on my day off Monday.

You may need to know what axle you've got, and there's a small possibility there would be two sizes (knowing the width of the shoe is usually enough - and you can find that out in about ten minutes. Remove a rear wheel, remove the drum, and measure across the shoe. Replace everything.)

I know it was an issue on some very early XJ's (do you have Dana 35 or Dana 44? Tow package? - those two were usually enough.)

Oops forgot about that, it's an 8.25" axle. I kinda wish it was an older model with a D35 (can't believe I just typed that....) since we already have a couple XJ's that are so equiped.

Pretty sure the 8.25 only has one size of pads. JIM.

Uggggg.............

Went to get the shoes and the two stores I went to don't carry Raybestos Pro Grade XJ Brake Shoes, and one didn't carry the hardware or adjusters either. I asked about wheel cylinders at one and gave the following description;
1998 Jeep Cherokee with 4 Liter, Automatic, Full Time 4wd, and NO ABS.
The kid behind the counter first asked if I had the 6 cylinder, then asked me if I needed the front or rear wheel cylinders for the truck. Before I bought the wheel cylinders and Pro Grade front pads (I figured I might was well get that stuff while I was there pluswas told last summer at two different places that those pads were discontinued !) I asked what the price was for the Pro Grade rear shoes and was told $20 I went to the other store and was told they stopped carrying the Raybestos brand because it was too expensive and all they had was left was what they hadn't sold off yet. Worst yet, as I got out of the XJ at that second store around 2:30pm I realised I locked my keys and cell phone in it! I ended up hanging around in the lot waiting for one of my parents to get off of work and hear the voice mail I left (Mom refuses to get a cell phone and I couldn't remember either of Dad's numbers.)

Back