• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant / leak question?

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
If you have a cracked head or leaking coolant into the oil,
would your oil dip stick show excessive oil level when you check it?

I was wondering if as it looses coolant if the dip stick would show higher reading on stick as more coolant enters the oil?

I have coolant res, constantly low and can't find problem,
replaced radiator cap,
no coolant in oil or filter,
no leaks , engine bone dry on outside.

thought if it was a cracked head , small crack even if as question above, dip stick reading would rise.
thanks guys , any info helpful

yes the dipstick would show more fluid, and will change the color of the oil.
u might have a bad head gasket or cracked head and coolant would go into the cylinder and go out the exaust.

The fisrt thing I'd do is pressure test the cooling system and check for external leaks....

Coolant can leak into the cylinder and get shoved out the exhuast...

jeep-man-man said:
The fisrt thing I'd do is pressure test the cooling system and check for external leaks....

Coolant can leak into the cylinder and get shoved out the exhuast...

X2: it's more common for coolant to leak into the cylinders and be blown out than it is for it to enter the crankcase and raise the oil level. A pressure test done right should find external or internal leaks. A compression or blowdown test should find a bad head gasket pretty quickly.

If coolant is mixing with your oil, the oil will be foamy.

x3 on the compression/pressure tests.

Back