• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP my cherokee is messin with me

max419

NAXJA Forum User
Well ive been banging my head for a few days now,
ill start with the turn signal, if the headlights are on, the the pass. side signal light(on the dash) stays on, if i turn on the signal it slightly dims the arrow but does nothing else, ie the turn signals dont work., if the lights are off the turn signal works but blinks in unison witht the clock. ANYONE???? im stumped ive been under that dash for way too long.

The second thing is this little box, i believe its supposed to be plugged into the fuse box just dont know where. and what is it. it has 2 grey wires going into it,and one brown wire with a spade connector on it coming out
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z64/maxcherokee/SANY0082.jpg

and the fuse box you can just see the grey wires coming down
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z64/maxcherokee/SANY0080.jpg

Any help would be great,
MAX

i'd say you're screwed.

Yea how long has this been going on, what year XJ? How did you notice it. Did you do anything to cause it? What have you done to remede the problem already? Do you have any blown fuses? Does everything else work? Need more info please

Usually when things interfere like this, you'll find a ground problem causing some component to seek ground through an adjacent circuit. Look for a disconnected or defective ground first. Start right at the end, with grounds for the signal lights themselves, which often corrode, and work your way back. If you don't have an ohmmeter, spring for a cheap digital multimeter. Nowadays you can get a useable one for something in the range of ten bucks, and a very nice one for 20-odd, and it will save you many hours of fussing around.

Also, if your Jeep is a pre-97 model, check the wiring harness connector near the front bulkhead, just forward of the air box. It's kind of buried down there, so look for it. It's a very common victim of corrosion. Every pre-97 XJ I've had has had problems with this connector. A couple of pins actually rotted off on the 87 and had to be bypassed. The 93 needed a new front harness for the same reason, and the 95 has narrowly escaped major problems only because I caught it in time. The design was improved later, and the 99 seems not to be troubled with it.

update, i was driving home and everything stopped working, blew stop light fuse and turn fuse. Im gonna go for finding some new sockets and go from there.
i will also check that front wiring harness. will respond tom after i go through this stuff.
thanks max

so i went through and pulled all the tow package wiring back to its harness, fixed my brake light fusefrom blowing.

replaced flasher, and went through all the bulbs for contact, found a few different bulbs with rust, cleaned all connections replaced faulty bulbs. AND all problems went away.
i have full lights now NO problems.

Thanks,
MAX:greensmok

PS searchers GO THROUGH YOUR BULBS....:eyes:

Back