• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 XJ Hard Start

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
Ive had this problem for some time now and am thinking of replacing the fuel pump. The problem is that anytime the XJ has been sitting for a good amount of time, atleast an hour or so when I try to go start it the motor will just crank and crank. If I prime the fuel pump before I try to turn it over the motor will go on the 2nd or 3rd crank like normal. Ive been told it could possibly be the check valve. This would be great if you could actually replace just the check valve without having to replace the entire pump. My question is, how long can I let this go before I have to replace the pump? Once it starts it runs/idles fine, gas mileage is the same, its not leaking fuel, everything else is fine. I would like to go as long as I can before I have to drop the tank and replace the pump.

how long is this extended crank??? XJ's have been notorious for having extended cranks without any ill side effects. some have been able to fix it and some haven't. most just learn to live with it.

if we're talking 5-7cranks instead of 2-3, i would consider that normalish. if it's like cranking 30seconds, then there definitely is a problem.

On the 1997 - 2001 the check valve is part of the fuel pump assembly. Your symptoms sure sound like a failed check valve. You can do the key on and off pump prime for years if you want to.

I kinda figured the manual priming it wouldnt hurt it too much. Though someone told me that you can buy a $3 inline check valve from a BMW and get it to work, supposedly its been done on a '00 before. Anyone else hear about this?

RoadTrippin said:
Ive had this problem for some time now and am thinking of replacing the fuel pump. The problem is that anytime the XJ has been sitting for a good amount of time, atleast an hour or so when I try to go start it the motor will just crank and crank. If I prime the fuel pump before I try to turn it over the motor will go on the 2nd or 3rd crank like normal. Ive been told it could possibly be the check valve. This would be great if you could actually replace just the check valve without having to replace the entire pump. My question is, how long can I let this go before I have to replace the pump? Once it starts it runs/idles fine, gas mileage is the same, its not leaking fuel, everything else is fine. I would like to go as long as I can before I have to drop the tank and replace the pump.

Try fuel injector cleaner first.

My 2000 just started doing the same thing about a week ago.
It always fired up on the 3rd crank before.
Now, if I dont prime it first, it will crank for at least 20 seconds before it starts.

had the same issue on my buddies 98. primed it and would start on 3rd crank every time so we replaced the check valve/fuel filter assembly and it works like new now.

Almost assuredly the check valve on the fuel pump assembly. When the check valve fails, it allows drainback and lost pressure in the fuel rail, therefore the extended cranking is needed to build up enough pressure to fire the engine. This is a VERY common failure on this vintage XJ. I replaced my fuel pump assembly on my 99 at about 90k for the same symptom. As mentioned, this does NOT mean that the pump is going to fail so live with it as long as you like but replacing the assembly is the only true fix. Good Luck!

Back